Segmentation rules in SDL Trados Studio 2009
Thread poster: Fedja N
Fedja N
Local time: 21:37
English to Croatian
Apr 16, 2011

Hello everyone,

I cannot, for the life of me, set correct rules for segmentation in SDL Trados Studio 2009. Right now, it splits segments after every full stop, which means that all the abbreviations (i.e., e.g., et al.) get split. As a previous user of Deja Vu X, I am dumfounded with Trados Studio. Could anyone help me get started with some simple rules, like how to ignore common abbreviations, numbers with periods and so on?

Thanks a lot in advance!

Direct link Reply with quote

Abrigela
Hungarian to English
+ ...
Add to the abbreviations list Apr 17, 2011

Hello,

I think you should be able to add the abbreviations you want to your abbreviation list which is in the Translation memory settings.

Abrigela.

Roy OConnor
Member (2009)
German to English
Use Merge and Split Apr 18, 2011

Generally, the default segmentation rules work OK.

It's quite easy to merge or split segments where Trados has guessed wrong. Type "Merge segment" into the search box of the Help screen to find out more. Only a couple of mouse clicks are needed.

FarkasAndras
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Howto Apr 18, 2011

Well, I tried to figure this out, and after a couple of post exchanges and at least a thousand words written on the issue, I gave up. This is so messed up in Studio that I can't summon up the willpower to actually try the solutions offered. Changing the behaviour in existing projects is about as simple as building a submarine out of driftwood and five feet of string. Studio has "language resources" globally, then for each project, and then in each TM as well. How the "project" and "TM" rules interact and override each other is unclear to me.
If you're feeling ambitious, here's the documentation and the thread. Let me know if you can make sense of it.

[Edited at 2011-04-18 09:12 GMT]

Erik Freitag  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2006)
Dutch to German
+ ...
Merge and split: beware! Apr 18, 2011

When merging/splitting segments, beware that there is a confirmed bug in Studio that will sometimes cause batch tasks to stop working. Look here:

http://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/195332-warning:_dont_merge_segments_in_studio.html

Fedja N
English to Croatian
TOPIC STARTER
Settings that apply to all projects Apr 18, 2011

First of all, thank you for your replies.

Now, I still have a couple of problems. I managed to stumble upon the segmentation rules dialog, which is hidden away in translation memory settings. However, as FarkasAndras pointed out, it is all confusing because even if I edit the abbreviation list, and edit the segmentation rules, they are still not applied to new projects.

Is there a general setting which I can edit, which would apply to all new projects? This was very easy to set up in Deja Vu X. Thanks again.

FarkasAndras
English to Hungarian
+ ...
No - just change everything Apr 19, 2011

Fedja B wrote:
Is there a general setting which I can edit, which would apply to all new projects?

From what I was told, no. If you only want this to apply to new projects, change the language resources in all TMs you use in new projects, and also choose your modified LR for the project itself. One of the two should work - hopefully.
For existing projects you'll add new files to, again, change everything and keep your fingers crossed. I'm not sure if you can change TM and project LR on the fly but trying won't hurt.

Fedja B wrote:
This was very easy to set up in Deja Vu X.

I do hope it will be made easier in Studio as well. It really should have a single global setting that applies to every new document that is added to any project, new or old, irrespective of what TM is in the project etc. SDL completely dropped the ball on this one.

Fedja N
English to Croatian
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Apr 19, 2011

Well, thanks again for your help. I managed to edit the rules, and while still not perfect, will have to do for the time being. For some of the misses I might have to use manual merge and split.

Richard Hill  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 14:37
Member (2011)
Spanish to English
Hey Fedja. How did you do it? Jul 13, 2011

Fedja B wrote:

Well, thanks again for your help. I managed to edit the rules, and while still not perfect, will have to do for the time being. For some of the misses I might have to use manual merge and split.

I came across your post while looking for an answer to the same question.
So please, how did you manage to edit the rules?

thanks in advance

rich

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English
Segmentation rule changes Jul 14, 2011

Hi Rich,

Maybe this example being discussed here will help point you in the right direction?

http://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/203089-splitting_automatically_some_segments_trados_2009.html#1771222

Regards

Paul

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Segmentation rules in SDL Trados Studio 2009

Advanced search

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search