Can I proofread a .ttx file in Studio 2009?
Thread poster: JaneD

JaneD  Identity Verified
Sweden
Local time: 14:21
Member (2009)
Swedish to English
+ ...
Apr 19, 2011

Hi all,

Apologies if this has been addressed elsewhere, or if there is a really obvious solution. I have just been proofreading an enormous and complicated document in TagEditor, and my brain is totally fried.

As the second part of this job is going to arrive in my inbox tomorrow, I'd very much like to not have to go through the same painful process as today, ie I change a segment, but when I come to the same segment later on, TagEditor hasn't automatically changed it for me and I have to do it again... and again...

So, a question which I keep meaning to ask here (like every time I work in TagEditor, for a start): Is there any way to open a translated .ttx file in Studio 2009 and have it help me proofread the document? If I could use Auto-propagation it would be *much* easier.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions (if there is just a better way to work with TagEditor, that would help!)

Jane

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Yes, you can Apr 19, 2011

When you open the ttx in Studio, save it as SDLXLIFF.
Then close the file, go to files view, right click on it and chose "Open for review".
This way the segments wil be autopropagated again.
Or you can use a free SDLXLIFF converter to convert the TTX file, which you've stored as SDLXIFF, to a Word document with two columns, proofread this one and import back to Studio.

Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)  Identity Verified
Thailand
Local time: 19:21
Member (2004)
English to Thai
+ ...
MS Word Apr 19, 2011

After years of Trados 2009 jobs, I prefer proofreading on MS Word. For a TTX file, I translate with T2009 and copy the entire target segments to MS Word. Here proofreading is more efficient: white screen background, flexibility of translation in to various languages, less tendency of mistakes in proofreading; yes, these are superior points of MS Word. TagEditor [for TTX files] is also less efficient than MS Word.

Soonthon Lupkitaro

Fernando Toledo  Identity Verified
Germany
German to Spanish
Why Word? Apr 20, 2011

Jerzy Czopik wrote:

Or you can use a free SDLXLIFF converter to convert the TTX file, which you've stored as SDLXIFF, to a Word document with two columns, proofread this one and import back to Studio.

Would this apply for all kind of documents? for example XMLs opened in Tageditor with a specific client INI?

Regards

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
You can convert ANY SDLXLIFF file to Word Apr 20, 2011

and then back.
And you ask why Word? I thought you love Word...

Germany
German to Spanish
What? Apr 20, 2011

Jerzy Czopik wrote:

and then back.
And you ask why Word? I thought you love Word...

You confused me... I am the one who hate all MS productsicon_wink.gif and praise Mac OSXicon_biggrin.gif

Anyway, why should man edit in Word? Jane is missing the possibility of propagating the corrections.

Germany
German to Spanish
The question is propagating Apr 20, 2011

Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.) wrote:

After years of Trados 2009 jobs, I prefer proofreading on MS Word. For a TTX file, I translate with T2009 and copy the entire target segments to MS Word. Here proofreading is more efficient: white screen background, flexibility of translation in to various languages, less tendency of mistakes in proofreading; yes, these are superior points of MS Word. TagEditor [for TTX files] is also less efficient than MS Word.

Soonthon Lupkitaro

If you find a mistake in a 1000 pages document that appears 1000 times, you only need to correct it once!

JaneD  Identity Verified
Sweden
Member (2009)
Swedish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Propagation is the thing Apr 20, 2011

As Fernando says, the issue I am struggling with is the propagation - or lack thereof - in TagEditor.

Of course I can do it in Word (or in TagEditor, for that matter). I just don't want to if I can get the computer to do it for me.

Anyway I am about to launch into the second part of the job, so I will try Jerzy's advice and see if that does what I need - I'm sure that as usual he has the right answer!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Can I proofread a .ttx file in Studio 2009?

Advanced search

SDL MultiTerm 2019
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2019 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2019 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search