"Insert match" missing in Studio regex syntax
Thread poster: FarkasAndras
FarkasAndras
Local time: 10:35
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Apr 20, 2011

There is a small issue I mentioned in passing a couple of times and got no info, so here it is in a thread of its own: does the Studio regex syntax have an "insert match" feature? All the documentation says is that Studio uses .NET regex syntax; .NET of course does have this feature, but the .NET expression doesn't work in Studio.

Here's how insert match works and why it's important:
You tell the regex engine to remember all, part, or several parts of the expression that is matched, and then use numbered references to insert them back in a search and replace operation. Parentheses are usually used for capturing, and \1, \2, \3 or $1, $2, $3 for insertion.
This allows you to replace, for instance,
([0-9]),([0-9]{3})
with
\1 \2
in order to change the grouping separator in numbers from a comma to a space.
There are of course a million other uses for this feature. You can use it to autoconvert dates, times etc.

So, did SDL forget to include this feature?

Direct link Reply with quote

Tomas Gradin  Identity Verified
Sweden
English to Swedish
+ ...
I miss it too Nov 30, 2011

As an IT guy by profession (when not doing translations) I sourly miss this function in the search/replace of Trados Studio. Its usefulness cannot be overstated.

FarkasAndras
English to Hungarian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
lookaheads Dec 1, 2011

By now it has become evident that the feature is indeed missing from T2009. It may have been introduced in T2011, but I would be surprised.
Here's a thred on the subject:
http://www.kudoz.org/forum/sdl_trados_support/197884-using_findreplace_to_change_commas_to_periods.html

The upshot is that lookaheads work, so you have a workaround that's usable in some cases. How or why they decided to implement lookaheads but not capturing parens, I have no idea.

Atso Puronen
Local time: 11:35
English to Finnish
I Agree! Dec 1, 2011

We've also learnt the importance and usefullness of regular expressions during the years and really miss some regex features in Studio 2009.
Clients still love to use prorietary formats in their systems which leads to having 5 different file formats used in one file. Regular expressions are a huge help in these situations, especially when creating custom file types.

With regular expressions you can really optimize your leverage when migrating from T2007 to T2009 and/or between different file types.

Tomas Gradin  Identity Verified
Sweden
English to Swedish
+ ...
Missing from 2011 too Dec 1, 2011

FarkasAndras wrote:

By now it has become evident that the feature is indeed missing from T2009. It may have been introduced in T2011, but I would be surprised.

I have 2011 too and I can confirm that it's missing from that too...

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

"Insert match" missing in Studio regex syntax

Advanced search

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search