Segmentation rules in SDL Trados 2007 Freelance
Thread poster: maryrose

maryrose  Identity Verified
Local time: 23:19
English
+ ...
Apr 22, 2011

Good morning, everyone

Can someone please help me with this - I want to change the segmentation rules so that a semi-colon marks the end of a segment. I am frequently confronted with the Italian predilection for 20-line sentences and it is much less daunting if these can be broken into shorter segments.

Similarly, I want to make it recognise sentences that end with a date, eg, 2011. It always skips over these and goes to the next full stop. I have tried putting them into the abbreviation list but it makes no difference.

Any suggestions to greatly appreciated.

Maryrose

István Hirsch  Identity Verified
Local time: 15:49
English to Hungarian
Semicolon... Apr 23, 2011

is not a stop character in Trados 2007 (as far as I know), but : ! and ? are. You should try to find one of the three which does not occur in your text. Let’s say it is colon. Temporarily disable Document Protection and replace every semicolon with colon with Find/Replace feature, to segment the text at semicolons. When finishing, replace every colon with semicolon, and do not forget to update the TM.
If all the three mentioned stop characters occur in your text, follow the same procedure by replacing every semicolon, for example, with colon coloured red.

Liselotte K. de Hennig  Identity Verified
Uruguay
Local time: 10:49
Spanish to German
+ ...
Segmentation after semicolon Apr 23, 2011

In the Trados Workbench:
1) go to File / Setup...
2) select the Segmentation Rules tab.
There
1) click the Add button
2) write: Semicolon
3) under Stop character: enter ;
4) select the checkbox "Followed by lowercase" if the semicolon is followed by lowercase in Italian.

I don't know how to segment after a date.

HTH

Kind regards
Liselotte

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Segmentation rules in SDL Trados 2007 Freelance

Advanced search

Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »
PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search