Searching content of sdlxliff files in a file browser?
Thread poster: Holger Remke

Holger Remke  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 11:01
Member (2006)
English to German
+ ...
Apr 25, 2011

Hi there,

I'm working on a project with quite a lot of files in SDL Trados Studio 2009 (Freelance) and am wondering if there's a tool for searching a specific sentence within the sdlxliff files without having to open each of the files separately.
I tried it with the search function of my file browser but it seams that searching sdlxliff files is not possible. My client recommended to use "BatchSearchReplace.msi" but I cannot install it (error message "Access denied").

Do you know if it is possible to search a certain text string wthin all the projectfiles at once?

Thank you!
Holger

Walter Blaser  Identity Verified
Switzerland
French to German
+ ...
There are two things you can do Apr 25, 2011

If you need to translate all those files, it might be wise to merge them when preparing your project. This will allow you to work on one single (merged) file in Studio's Editor and therefore be able to do search + replace operations throughout the entire merged document. In addition, you will also benefit from the Autopropagate function.

The alternative is to use the utility "Batch Search + Replace" that you already mentioned. You may need to log in with administrative rights in oder to install this SW.

Walter

Holger Remke  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2006)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
SDL Batch Search + Replace Apr 25, 2011

Many thanks for your reply, Walter!

Merging the files is not possible this time, so I opt for the utility "Batch Search + Replace". My problem is still that I cannot install the tool on my computer (XP SP3). The utility has got an .msi extension (not .exe). When I doubleclick on the .msi file, I get the message "Access denied".

Is it possible that there is something missing on my computer? (I tried the installation with Studio 2009 and all other programs closed).

Thanks for your help!
Holger

CyberTime
Local time: 17:01
English to Chinese
Did you try google desktop? Apr 26, 2011

Did you try Google desktop?

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Searching content of sdlxliff files in a file browser?

Advanced search

WordFinder Unlimited
For clarity and excellence

WordFinder is the leading dictionary service that gives you the words you want anywhere, anytime. Access 260+ dictionaries from the world's leading dictionary publishers in virtually any device. Find the right word anywhere, anytime - online or offline.

More info »
BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search