Unable to clean .xls.ttx file
Thread poster: Csaba Ban

Csaba Ban  Identity Verified
Hungary
Local time: 22:11
Member (2002)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Apr 29, 2011

Dear colleagues,

I just completed a fairly large (50k) project to a client. I have the bilingual file (.xls.ttx), but I'm simply not able to produce a clean (.xls) file from it.

I tried both TagEditor and Workbench, but in both cases I receive the following error message: "Connection with server application error: Unable to locate file: (file path and name)"
This message appears after the actual cleanup process is done ("processing the file", percentages running up to 100%, then "postprocessing the file", percentages climbing up slower to 100%)


I know about an existing thread about the same issue:
http://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/96640-tageditor_problem:_unable_to_locate_original_file.html

I read this carefully and did everything as explained there, but no success. Apparently I have to edit the file path that's specified within the bilingual file. I did that, but no success.

My Trados version is: Translator's Workbench/SDLX, Version 8.0 Freelance (build 822).

I have to add that I use Deja Vu X for the actual translation. Trados-compatible bilingual file is created upon exporting the completed project from DVX.

So far I've never had any problem creating clean files from my DVX-generated bilingual files. I never had to change to document path or meddle with the files in any way.

I'd greatly appreciate any ideas how to remedy this situation.

Csaba
(Budapest)


 

Michal Glowacki  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 22:11
Member (2010)
English to Polish
+ ...
Simple but maybe that's it Apr 29, 2011

Did you make sure that:
a) The source XLS is in the same folder as the TTX when cleaning/saving as target?
b) All the tags are there?
c) Source XLS has exactly the same name as the TTX?

These are the three most basic things that can hinder the process. Maybe they're obvious, but maybe you've missed something.


[Edited at 2011-04-29 08:15 GMT]


 

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 22:11
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
The source file is available in the corresponding folder? Apr 29, 2011

Could you please check, if the same Excel file without any translation produces target?
If yes, the problem might be in worksheet names.
If not, try to store the Excel in a different format, ie xlsx and try again.


 

Csaba Ban  Identity Verified
Hungary
Local time: 22:11
Member (2002)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you, but... Apr 29, 2011

I did everything you describe here, which are basically the same ideas as in the previous thread referred to above.

About two weeks ago, when I first delivered the project, initially I had the same problem, then I found this older thread, I followed the instructions there, and in 10 minutes I had the clean file.

Now the client sent me some updates, which I implemented in DVX, exported the project into a bilingual file (like I always do), but this time around I cannot produce the clean .xls file.

Csaba


 

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 22:11
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Does the untranslated Excel produce target? Apr 29, 2011

TBH I doubt that.

 

Csaba Ban  Identity Verified
Hungary
Local time: 22:11
Member (2002)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
what do you mean? Apr 29, 2011

Jerzy,

What do you mean by this? "untranslated Excel produces target"

cs.


 

Michal Glowacki  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 22:11
Member (2010)
English to Polish
+ ...
workaround Apr 29, 2011

Not a solution, but since you have the file ready and you have Trados you can always take a fresh new XLS, import into Trados, translate to fuzzy it (everything should be in the TM) and see if that works.

 

Michal Glowacki  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 22:11
Member (2010)
English to Polish
+ ...
untranslated Apr 29, 2011

Jerzy means that you should import the XLS into Trados and try save it as target without touching anything (i.e. without translating it). In theory that should not mess anything up. If it doesn't work, there's something going on wrong during import and conversion to TTX.

 

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 22:11
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Open a fresh copy of the Excel Apr 29, 2011

in TagEditor and try to produce target (Save target as...) even without having translated anything.
If that works, follow Michal's workaround.


 


To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:


You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Unable to clean .xls.ttx file

Advanced search







Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »



Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search