SDLX confusion
Thread poster: Kitty Maerz

Kitty Maerz  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 16:34
English to German
+ ...
May 1, 2011

My Client sent me several .itd files. Unfortunately, the project is somewhat large and there isn't a lot of time so that I don't really have time to figure out myself how best to proceed. I was hoping someone with more experience using SDLX can point me in the right direction.

Now, when I originally bought Trados a couple of years ago (SDL Trados 2007 Freelance) I was able to use both Tag Editor and SDLX. However, at some point SDLX stopped working. This didn't really concern me as
... See more
My Client sent me several .itd files. Unfortunately, the project is somewhat large and there isn't a lot of time so that I don't really have time to figure out myself how best to proceed. I was hoping someone with more experience using SDLX can point me in the right direction.

Now, when I originally bought Trados a couple of years ago (SDL Trados 2007 Freelance) I was able to use both Tag Editor and SDLX. However, at some point SDLX stopped working. This didn't really concern me as I never used it anyway. Basically, I would start the program, the first screen would appear and then nothing (no SDLX anywhere to be seen, no error message, nothing). It seems that SDLX was running somewhere though as I would get a message to "close SDLX" if I tried to install/reinstall etc. SDLX after trying to start it.

Anyway, I have now deleted SDLX (as I couldn't get it to run anyway) and tried installing SDL lite. This does start up (SDL Edit), but I really have no clue how to use it as it looks quite different from what I am used to (i.e. there is no way to jump into the next line/matches don't show up). The Help-function does not work.

Now, I have realized that I can open the file in Tag Editor. I probably would prefer using this as I am more familiar with it. However, I have two questions:

- Am I likely going to run into any issues later on? The file is quite large and it would be a disaster if I got to the end in Tag Editor and couldn't get it reconverted.

- In Tag Editor the file already shows the source text as the translation. Once I really do translate a specific phrase I can use "Get translation" to replace the source when I get to the next match. This is a bit cumbersome. I am sure there is a way to adjust the options so that Tag Editor automatically uses the match from the previous translation instead of the original but I am not sure which option that would be.

I guess what I am looking for is some advice on how best to proceed: Should I use Tag Editor (in which case I would appreciate it if someone could answer the two questions above) or would it be better to work with SDLX? If the later, can someone point me to instructions for SDLX Lite or tell me how to reinstall my original version of SDLX/get that one to work?

Thank you so much for any help!
Collapse

Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 17:34
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Try to re-install the package May 1, 2011

Perhaps something went wrong when you installed back two years ago. It should be possible to install only SDLX on top of your SDL TRados installation.
Usually TE and SDLX are able to use each other files (ttx/itd). itd-files are pretranslated and the source is copied into the source segment if there was no match from the TM. SDLX is able to update subsequent segments but TE not.

Germany
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Can't find SDLX link on SDL website May 1, 2011

Thanks, Heinrich. The problem is that when I go to my account on SDL I do not see a specific link for downloading only SDLX. When I look at my products it only shows a link for SDL Trados 2007. I KNOW that I originally had SDLX (and it ran too). I would rather not download everything again (worried that then nothing might work anymore).

Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 17:34
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Its part of the package May 1, 2011

You download the 2007 package and start installation. At some moment it will ask, what parts do you wish to install.

Germany
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you! May 1, 2011

After a couple of trys I now did get SDLX back and the great thing is that it came with a short tutorial so I am now all set to go. I really appreciate the help!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

SDLX confusion

Advanced search

Translation news related to SDL Trados

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »