Thread poster: Ana Carneiro

Ana Carneiro  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 04:16
English to Portuguese
+ ...
May 5, 2011

Hi everybody,
After days of trying to fix the "compile error in hidden mode" bug using all the resources that I've already learned in this forum without success, I decided to use Tageditor. The first task went very well, no problem, but the second translation I did with it is not working. I get a message saying "error while converting files to Word". I've searched the forum and found a suggestion saying to save it to Word 2007 and then back to Word 2002... no success here either. Does anyb
... See more
Hi everybody,
After days of trying to fix the "compile error in hidden mode" bug using all the resources that I've already learned in this forum without success, I decided to use Tageditor. The first task went very well, no problem, but the second translation I did with it is not working. I get a message saying "error while converting files to Word". I've searched the forum and found a suggestion saying to save it to Word 2007 and then back to Word 2002... no success here either. Does anybody know how to solve this? I would appreciate some help.
TIA
Ana
Collapse

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 05:16
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Converting FILES or FIELDS? May 5, 2011

This is a major difference...

Portugal
English to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
fields, sorry. Also I forgot to mention that I am using Trados 7 with Office XP and Word 2002. May 5, 2011

Jerzy Czopik wrote:

This is a major difference...

Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Changing format will not help, you have to repair your translation May 5, 2011

During the translation you must have removed a field tag in the document.
Use the generic tag verifier to identify the segment(s), where such tag is missing.
If you did not remove any tags and still cannot save target, please try using the repair function in Word to repair the source document or open the document in Open Office and save as Word, as in such case already the source has been corrupted.

Janina Ralda  Identity Verified
Guatemala
Local time: 21:16
English to Spanish
+ ...
Tag Editor May 5, 2011

I had a similar situation. And the problem was a a Page Jump and a foot note. I took them off, and I was able to work my document,

mediamatrix (X)
Local time: 00:16
Spanish to English
+ ...
Let's put an end to Trados work-arounds! May 6, 2011

Jerzy Czopik wrote:

If the removal of a field tag is likely to corrupt the document, why does this over-priced CAT software not warn the user that the impending action is likely to cause problems and, at the very least, offer the option of cancelling said action before doing irreparable damage?

Jerzy Czopik wrote:
If you did not remove any tags and still cannot save target, please try using the repair function in Word to repair the source document ...

Do you really believe that it is fair to suggest that MS Word should be the first port of call to sort out problems caused by this over-priced third-party CAT software? Don't shoot me, I'm only the piano-player!

Jerzy Czopik wrote:
... or open the document in Open Office and save as Word, as in such case already the source has been corrupted.

If the translator has invested hard-earned earnings not only in this over-priced third-party CAT software but also in a legal license for MS Word, do you not find it a trifle ingenuous to suggest that the translator should use an open source look-alike to solve a very basic failing in the afore-mentioned over-priced, genetically disfunctional CAT software?

Trados users need properly functional software, worthy of the price-tag, not endless work-arounds from well-meaning colleagues.,

MediaMatrix

Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Let's start learning to do things right in the first place May 6, 2011

mediamatrix wrote:

Jerzy Czopik wrote:

If the removal of a field tag is likely to corrupt the document, why does this over-priced CAT software not warn the user that the impending action is likely to cause problems and, at the very least, offer the option of cancelling said action before doing irreparable damage?

Well it does. If you delete a tag, it warns you. Then you get messages, that a tag has been deleted, when you run the verifier.

Jerzy Czopik wrote:
If you did not remove any tags and still cannot save target, please try using the repair function in Word to repair the source document ...

Do you really believe that it is fair to suggest that MS Word should be the first port of call to sort out problems caused by this over-priced third-party CAT software? Don't shoot me, I'm only the piano-player!

Well, the problem is not caused by this over-priced-third-party-software, but by Word itself then...

Jerzy Czopik wrote:
... or open the document in Open Office and save as Word, as in such case already the source has been corrupted.

If the translator has invested hard-earned earnings not only in this over-priced third-party CAT software but also in a legal license for MS Word, do you not find it a trifle ingenuous to suggest that the translator should use an open source look-alike to solve a very basic failing in the afore-mentioned over-priced, genetically disfunctional CAT software?

When you believe repeating things will make them true, so you're completely on the wrong way.
What you call over-priced is a product with a decent price. Period. Or would you say a Mac is overpriced too?

Trados users need properly functional software, worthy of the price-tag, not endless work-arounds from well-meaning colleagues.,

MediaMatrix

Well, the softare is fully functional.
Deleting parts of text are out of question.
Unfortunately you seem to lack even the basic knowledge about how a CAT tool works.
A field is part of the code of the file - if you delete it, the file is damaged. Why do you blame the software for user mistakes?
And if you feel my words are harsh, so I am sorry, I do not really want to offend anyone, but would you simply read what you wrote - this is just a rant without any reasonable argumeting.
Over and out here.

Portugal
English to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Problem solved so far May 6, 2011

Thank you Jerzi for your help. I thought that this platform was similar to Word with Workbench. It's not. After reading the manual and following the instructions I managed to translate some files without problems, so I think I will keep reading the manual until I understand how this works.
Thanks all.
Ana

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Tag Editor: "error while converting fields to Word"

Advanced search

SDL Trados Studio 2019 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2019 has evolved to bring translators a brand new experience. Designed with user experience at its core, Studio 2019 transforms how new users get up and running, helps experienced users make the most of the powerful features.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search