Eleonore Wapler  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 20:48
Member (2010)
French to English
+ ...
May 6, 2011

Hi,
I am considering buying a Trados licence (and MultiTerm) but I understand there are several versions now available.
I learnt to use Trados 7 (I think) when I was at uni but if there's updates, newer/ better versions, I'd rather go for the best version. Newest doesn't always = best, but sometimes it does.
Could you people advice on which version to get today?
Which are the pros and cons of the different versions?
Thanks for your help!
Ely

Selcuk Akyuz  Identity Verified
Turkey
Local time: 22:48
Member (2006)
English to Turkish
+ ...
SDL products May 6, 2011

This page can help: http://www.sdl.com/en/products-and-solutions/our-products/
There are several versions of SDL products used by agencies and translators

SDLX
Trados 2007 (TagEditor incl.)
Studio 2009 (with or without Trados 2007, Multiterm)
Idiom WB (possibly marketed with a new name now)
Passolo
Multiterm
MultiTerm Extra
... See more
This page can help: http://www.sdl.com/en/products-and-solutions/our-products/
There are several versions of SDL products used by agencies and translators

SDLX
Trados 2007 (TagEditor incl.)
Studio 2009 (with or without Trados 2007, Multiterm)
Idiom WB (possibly marketed with a new name now)
Passolo
Multiterm
MultiTerm Extract

But you cannot purchase Trados 2007 any more. It comes with Studio 2009 in some packages. Multiterm is also included in some packages only.
Collapse

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 21:48
Member (1970)
English
Just to keep it simple May 6, 2011

Eleonore Wapler wrote:

Hi,
I am considering buying a Trados licence (and MultiTerm) but I understand there are several versions now available.
I learnt to use Trados 7 (I think) when I was at uni but if there's updates, newer/ better versions, I'd rather go for the best version. Newest doesn't always = best, but sometimes it does.
Could you people advice on which version to get today?
Which are the pros and cons of the different versions?
Thanks for your help!
Ely

Hi Eleonore,

If you want to purchase the equivalent of what you learned at Uni then it would be SDL Trados Studio 2009. When you purchase this it comes in three editions, Professional, Freelance and Starter, but I think the Freelance version is likely to suit your needs.

Included with this is MultiTerm 2009 and SDL Trados 2007 Suite, so Selcuk is on the right lines. SDL Trados 2007 Suite includes the old Trados applications you will be familiar with, and SDLX. So you actually get quite a lot in this bundle. But the main translation tool for you would be SDL Trados Studio 2009.

There is KB article here that explains some of the differences:

http://kb.sdl.com/article.aspx?article=2595&p=1

But you can find out more specifically by using the Live Chat feature on Translation Zone. You can find this here on the left hand side of the page:

http://translationzone.com/en/translator-shop/special-offers.asp

Regards

Paul

Eleonore Wapler  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2010)
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
thanks May 6, 2011

Thanks for this information Paul, that's very helpful.

Ely

MaguMM
United Kingdom
English to German
+ ...
Similar situation ... May 8, 2011

Hello,

I'm actually in a similar situation to Ely, also currently thinking about buying a CAT tool, but not sure which one.

From an agency I've worked with (as PM), I'm used to Trados 2007 (TagEditor and Workbench). The text for translation is usually sent out as .ttx and returned in the same format plus a clean version. Sometimes people also asked the translator to use Trados in Word, hence producing an unclean and clean Word version.

The unclean docume
... See more
Hello,

I'm actually in a similar situation to Ely, also currently thinking about buying a CAT tool, but not sure which one.

From an agency I've worked with (as PM), I'm used to Trados 2007 (TagEditor and Workbench). The text for translation is usually sent out as .ttx and returned in the same format plus a clean version. Sometimes people also asked the translator to use Trados in Word, hence producing an unclean and clean Word version.

The unclean documents were then used to update the TMs.

Equally, TMs are sent out as tmx packages, which the translator would simply link to the ttx.

Would this kind of workflow still work without any problems? I.e. would I be able to clean the files up in SDL 2009 and use the agency's TM as previously?

Thanks for your help,
Sophie
Collapse

ghislandi  Identity Verified
Member (2011)
English to Italian
Working on TTX May 9, 2011

Hello
I am from SDL.

In SDL Trados Studio you will be able to:
1) Open a TTX file directly and work on it
2) Once translated, save the file both as TTX and as Target clean translated file
3) Export the TM from Studio into TMX

I hope this helps.

Feel free to ask further questions.

Regards
Massi

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

SDL Trados - Which version?

Advanced search

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search