Delete segments in concordance window of Studio
Thread poster: Nicolette Quigley

Nicolette Quigley
Local time: 21:51
German to English
+ ...
May 10, 2011

Hi there,

Can anybody tell my why it is sometimes possible to delete segmetns in the concordance window and sometimes this does not work?

I opened three memories in the editor view. I then opened one of those three in the translation memory view to ensure that it is an active mamory.

I then perfrom a concordance search in the editor view. The segements I want to delet show up in the concordance window (in editor's view). I right.click my mouse, click on "de
... See more
Hi there,

Can anybody tell my why it is sometimes possible to delete segmetns in the concordance window and sometimes this does not work?

I opened three memories in the editor view. I then opened one of those three in the translation memory view to ensure that it is an active mamory.

I then perfrom a concordance search in the editor view. The segements I want to delet show up in the concordance window (in editor's view). I right.click my mouse, click on "delete sgement". I answer "yes" to the question that I really want to delete this segment ...AND... it is still there?!?

What to do?
Collapse

Susanne Rieg (X)  Identity Verified
English to German
+ ...
It does not work in Concordance view May 10, 2011

Although the option is available in Concordance, it only works in the Translation Results view, not in the Concordance view, for whatever reason ...

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (1970)
English
Editing TM May 10, 2011

QT nicolette wrote:

Hi there,

I then perfrom a concordance search in the editor view. The segements I want to delet show up in the concordance window (in editor's view). I right.click my mouse, click on "delete sgement". I answer "yes" to the question that I really want to delete this segment ...AND... it is still there?!?

What to do?

Hi,

First of all, I would like to clarify that opening the TM in the Translation Memory View has nothing to do with an active Translation at all. This is just a Maintenance window where you can carry out maintenance activities on your Translation Memories.

Then I think it's worth asking whether perhaps the result you tried to delete was from a Project Translation memory and you are checking the result against the Main Translation Memory?

Regards

Paul

Nicolette Quigley
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Project or master memory and PS May 10, 2011

Hi Paul

Thanks for your reply.

I assume that I am working in my master memory, as any new sgements I confirm (ctrl and enter) will be visible as 100% matches in the "match window" when I place my curser again in the very same segment in the side-by-side-editor.

I also assume that the project memory is the memory that contaminates my hard drive. Therefore I try to avoid it at all cost.

But.. I must admit that I do not know how to verify whethe
... See more
Hi Paul

Thanks for your reply.

I assume that I am working in my master memory, as any new sgements I confirm (ctrl and enter) will be visible as 100% matches in the "match window" when I place my curser again in the very same segment in the side-by-side-editor.

I also assume that the project memory is the memory that contaminates my hard drive. Therefore I try to avoid it at all cost.

But.. I must admit that I do not know how to verify whether the memory I see in the side-by-side editor is the master or the project memory. It would be nice to always have a little info field (-> improvement suggestion) to make things easier or to do entirely without such a contaminating project memory because life is complicated enough.

In my project settings I also ticked all the boxed (active memory, update memory etc.) when I selected the memory I am working with.

Maybe you can find more clues with this information.

PS. The results I tried to delete in this case were segments which I had aligend an then imported into the relevant memory. Shouldn't they then be automatially in the master TM only?

PS PS. Is there a function somewehere where I can completely switch off the generation of project memories and all the other files I do not need that are automatically generated?

Regards
Nicoeltte

[Edited at 2011-05-10 19:20 GMT]

[Edited at 2011-05-10 19:21 GMT]

[Edited at 2011-05-10 19:33 GMT]

[Edited at 2011-05-10 19:37 GMT]
Collapse

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (1970)
English
Project TM versus Master TM May 10, 2011

Hi Nicolette,

You can tell the difference because the Project TM has the name of the Project appended to the start. So for example in this Project:

1. is the Project name
2. is a visual reference to the fact this is a Project TM

So the full name of the Project TM is this:

264 - MS project blog_en(US) - ga(IE)... See more
Hi Nicolette,

You can tell the difference because the Project TM has the name of the Project appended to the start. So for example in this Project:

1. is the Project name
2. is a visual reference to the fact this is a Project TM

So the full name of the Project TM is this:

264 - MS project blog_en(US) - ga(IE)

And the Main TM is:

en(US) - ga(IE)

Project TMs are not automatically generated unless you create a Project with them. You can decide whether to do this when you create your project by selecting Create Project without Project TM.

Regards

Paul

[Edited at 2011-05-10 19:42 GMT]
Collapse

Nicolette Quigley
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
snapshot May 10, 2011

Hi Paul

I send you some snapshots to your sdl mail becaue the content I am working with is confidential. or do you want me to use another email-adress?

Regards
Nicolette

Walter Blaser  Identity Verified
Switzerland
French to German
+ ...
Deleting a TU in Concordance view works fine for me May 11, 2011

Susanne Rieg wrote:

Although the option is available in Concordance, it only works in the Translation Results view, not in the Concordance view, for whatever reason ...

It works fine in my Studio 2009 SP3. I click right on the TU, select 'Delete Translation Unit' and then OK on the confirmation dialog that pops up and .... my TU is gone.

Just checked this once more and there is nothing wrong there.

Did you tick the 'Update' check mark for that TM?

Walter

Nicolette Quigley
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Ticked "Update" May 11, 2011

Hi Walter

That is the strange thing about the story. Deleting segments somtimes works and sometimes it doesn't an dI haven't found the reason for this yet.

I do know now, however, that I am working in the master memory.

And yes, I did tick "update".

Regrads

Nicolette

English to German
+ ...
Works only if one TM is active May 11, 2011

Walter Blaser wrote:

It works fine in my Studio 2009 SP3. I click right on the TU, select 'Delete Translation Unit' and then OK on the confirmation dialog that pops up and .... my TU is gone.

Just checked this once more and there is nothing wrong there.

Did you tick the 'Update' check mark for that TM?

Walter

Walter, I have just noticed, it works if you have ONLY ONE TM active in your project.
The moment you add more TMs (with all of them enabled but only your main TM activated for updates), you can no longer delete segements in the main TM in concordance view.

To do this you need the deactivate all but the main TM.

Sanne

[Edited at 2011-05-11 08:58 GMT]

Nicolette Quigley
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Even if you tick only one TM for update deletion does not work May 11, 2011

Hi susanne

I am really very sad that I have to disagree with what you are saying, because this could have been a nice solution.

I have three memories open, I ticked "update" only for my main memory. This is also where I want to delte the TM in the concordanye window. but - alas - it does not work.

[Edited at 2011-05-11 09:10 GMT]

English to German
+ ...
Make sure only main TM is "Enabled" May 11, 2011

QT nicolette wrote:

Hi susanne

I am really very sad that I have to disagree with what you are saying, because this could have been a nice solution.

I have three memories open, I ticked "update" only for my main memory. This is also where I want to delte the TM in the concordanye window. but - alas - it does not work.

[Edited at 2011-05-11 09:10 GMT]

Sorry nicolette

I was probably not clear in my statement. The ticking of "Update" is not the only issue. You also must make sure to have only the main memory ticked under "Enabled".

Sanne

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Delete segments in concordance window of Studio

Advanced search

SDL Trados Studio 2019 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2019 has evolved to bring translators a brand new experience. Designed with user experience at its core, Studio 2019 transforms how new users get up and running, helps experienced users make the most of the powerful features.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search