https://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/19876-problem_%7B%7D_when_opening_segment.html

Problem: -{}- when opening segment
Thread poster: Carsten Behrend
Carsten Behrend
Carsten Behrend  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 10:38
English to German
+ ...
Mar 30, 2004

I have recently upgraded my Trados 6.5 FL to build 410 and replaced the old files by the new ones.

Now, when I want to open/get a new translation segment, the following string is displayed in Word2003: -{}-. There is no blue and yellow bar to put in the translation. However, the workbench shows the correct source text and seems to be ready for the translation.

What am I doing wrong?

Carsten

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
The dreaded 'curly brackets' syndrome... Mar 30, 2004

Hi Carsten,
Carsten Behrend wrote:

I have recently upgraded my Trados 6.5 FL to build 410 and replaced the old files by the new ones.

Er... the latest version is build 417, as described in this article on the Trados KB. If you upgrade to this, you will have to also upgrade your MTiX version to build 279 (look here for details).

I'm using T6.5 LSP - the two upgrades have significantly improved performance, particularly in terms of term recognition.

Now, when I want to open/get a new translation segment, the following string is displayed in Word2003: -{}-. There is no blue and yellow bar to put in the translation. However, the workbench shows the correct source text and seems to be ready for the translation.

I don't use Word 2003, so I'm not 100% sure if the cause is the same as with earlier versions (just search for "curly brackets" in the TW_users archive...), but have you tried deactivating term recognition? If the problem disappears, your termbase might be the source of the problem.

Another explanation could be that you actually upgraded Workbench to build 417 without also upgrading MTiX.

HTH, Ralf

Carsten Behrend
Germany
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Again a specification Mar 30, 2004

Hi Ralf,

sorry to bother you again.

Er... the latest version is build 417, as described in this article on the Trados KB. If you upgrade to this, you will have to also upgrade your MTiX version to build 279 (look here for details).

Your suspicion with the upgrading is true, indeed. I downloaded the MTiX Upgrade 279 and WB 417. I unzipped the files and for WB I replaced the old files by the new ones. There was no setup directed. Upgrading MTiX was succesful. (That's what the wizard says!)

Now, the really entertaining part in MultiTerm was the statement under Help, Info: My build is 267! How the hell...? WB is the same monkey business. It is build 410. How could I upgrade. BTW: I am experiencing a runtime error message from Visual Basic, error 6025 (famous & hated). It is not really annoying for you could let it appear and wouldn't click on it and Trados is operational furtheron. If you would click, the workbench will disappear and one must relaunch the WB.

In the end, I clicked on background term recognition. This way, the curly brackets wnet away and at least I can work on my translation. But, I desperately need the termbase and its recognition.

I'm using T6.5 LSP - the two upgrades have significantly improved performance, particularly in terms of term recognition.

I am convinced in this direction. I made a lot of use by Trados in the past and I wouldn't want to uninstall it for this little mimikry. But, I need it to be operational!

I don't use Word 2003, so I'm not 100% sure if the cause is the same as with earlier versions (just search for "curly brackets" in the TW_users archive...), but have you tried deactivating term recognition? If the problem disappears, your termbase might be the source of the problem.

Could you post the link one more time, please?

Another explanation could be that you actually upgraded Workbench to build 417 without also upgrading MTiX.

Well, the above explanation should be sufficient. No upgrading done at all.

Carsten

Ralf Lemster
Germany
English to German
+ ...
WB Build 417 visible - MTiX Build 279 not openly Mar 30, 2004

Hi Carsten,
No problem at all.

Your suspicion with the upgrading is true, indeed. I downloaded the MTiX Upgrade 279 and WB 417. I unzipped the files and for WB I replaced the old files by the new ones. There was no setup directed. Upgrading MTiX was succesful. (That's what the wizard says!)

Now, the really entertaining part in MultiTerm was the statement under Help, Info: My build is 267! How the hell...?

As build 279 only replaces a number of DLLs, the info text isn't changed. You can check the files, however: right-click on MultiTermMtServer.dll in the MTiX program directory, and check the file properties: the version should show up as 6.2.0.279.

WB is the same monkey business. It is build 410. How could I upgrade.

Here I suspect something went wrong with the upgrade, as Workbench clearly shows build 417.

BTW: I am experiencing a runtime error message from Visual Basic, error 6025 (famous & hated). It is not really annoying for you could let it appear and wouldn't click on it and Trados is operational furtheron. If you would click, the workbench will disappear and one must relaunch the WB.

I have a sneaking suspicion that this is also related to the suspect upgrade.

In the end, I clicked on background term recognition. This way, the curly brackets wnet away and at least I can work on my translation. But, I desperately need the termbase and its recognition.

Background means that terminology is recognised, but the process runs in the background.

Er... which one?

Best, Ralf

Carsten Behrend
Germany
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Which one? Mar 30, 2004

Hi Ralf,

Probably, I will have to cleanup my whole system...

Background means that terminology is recognised, but the process runs in the background.

That's what I thought. There is definitely no possibility to access the term nor with the keyboard shortcuts!

As build 279 only replaces a number of DLLs, the info text isn't changed. You can check the files, however: right-click on MultiTermMtServer.dll in the MTiX program directory, and check the file properties: the version should show up as 6.2.0.279.

I did this. Result: 267.

The one with the TW_users archive.

Lost in translation...

Carsten

Best, Ralf[/quote]

Ralf Lemster
Germany
English to German
+ ...
TW_users Mar 30, 2004

Hi again,
Probably, I will have to cleanup my whole system...

Nah... just to be on the safe side, download the upgrades again and apply them.
If you send me a message through my profile, I can forward the information received from Trados.

That's what I thought. There is definitely no possibility to access the term nor with the keyboard shortcuts!

Correct (and "as designed") - but you can access the terms by running MTiX in parallel.

The TW_users group is here.

HTH, Ralf

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Problem: -{}- when opening segment

Translation news related to SDL Trados

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »