Unable to export Excel 2007 file (.xlsx)
Thread poster: Isabelle_C

Isabelle_C
Local time: 22:32
May 16, 2011

Hello,

I just finished translating a big Excel 2007 file in Trados 2009 and now that I am done, I am unable to generate the target translation!

I got an "Index was out of range" error message. I found a few posts about this on this forum, but could not manage to solve my problem based on the answers provided.

I hope someone will be able to help, since the translation is due in two days and I can not afford to redo it from scratch....!

Thanks
... See more
Hello,

I just finished translating a big Excel 2007 file in Trados 2009 and now that I am done, I am unable to generate the target translation!

I got an "Index was out of range" error message. I found a few posts about this on this forum, but could not manage to solve my problem based on the answers provided.

I hope someone will be able to help, since the translation is due in two days and I can not afford to redo it from scratch....!

Thanks in advance,
Isabelle
Collapse

KeithWangle
Czech Republic
Local time: 04:32
German to English
Try generating a preview May 17, 2011

Hi Isabelle.

I ran into a similar problem with a docx file. Trados 2009 listed an error and refused to finalize the translation. After a some panic, however, I found Trados would generate a preview for me which I then used as my translated file. I never resolved the problem but I was able to deliver the translation. Generating a preview might work in your case as well.

Good luck.

Keith

RWSTranslation
Germany
Member (2007)
German to English
+ ...
This seems to be an Excel error... May 17, 2011

I think "Index was out of range" is an excel error. This means that a certain data in your translation is not compatible with the format of the corresponding cell in Excel, so that you get this error during conversion.

To be sure of that, I would first copy the whole source in the target and export the file in Excel. If it's not generating any problem, it means that your translation is not ok, maybe in just one segment and confirm it is not a problem with studio.

I woul
... See more
I think "Index was out of range" is an excel error. This means that a certain data in your translation is not compatible with the format of the corresponding cell in Excel, so that you get this error during conversion.

To be sure of that, I would first copy the whole source in the target and export the file in Excel. If it's not generating any problem, it means that your translation is not ok, maybe in just one segment and confirm it is not a problem with studio.

I would then take a look in the Excel file to check which cells have a special formating (date, number, boolean,...). Then I would try to change the value of these cells with the corresponding translation in Excel to check if an error is being generated in Excel.

Hope it helps...

Sébastien
Collapse

Isabelle_C
Local time: 22:32
TOPIC STARTER
The problem must be in the target file May 17, 2011

Thanks a lot for your answers.

When I copy-paste the source in the target, I can generate a preview of the "translation", but I am unable to do the same with my translated file. So I guess the problem has to do with the translation.

Is there any way I can locate the erroneous segment?

ISabelle

RWSTranslation
Germany
Member (2007)
German to English
+ ...
Dichotomy May 18, 2011

What I did to find the "bug(s)" in such a problem was to "copy to target" in the first half of the translation, and then try to generate a preview. If a preview can be generated, it means the "bug(s)" is/are in the first half... then take the half of the half and so on...

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Unable to export Excel 2007 file (.xlsx)

Advanced search

WordFinder Unlimited
For clarity and excellence

WordFinder is the leading dictionary service that gives you the words you want anywhere, anytime. Access 260+ dictionaries from the world's leading dictionary publishers in virtually any device. Find the right word anywhere, anytime - online or offline.

More info »
BaccS – an SDL product
Modern translation business management for freelancers and agencies

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search