Undeletable (HTML?) tags in Word doc, what to do about them?
Thread poster: FreeHansje

FreeHansje  Identity Verified
Local time: 02:41
Dutch to English
+ ...
May 18, 2011

Hi there,
I am a newbie with Trados. I bought and downloaded Studio 2009 SP3 and installed it. I have been playing with the trial version and felt rather confident working with the editor. But now...

I received a word doc, which is converted from a PDF I am told. When I opened it with Trados 2009 SP3 the source was full of tags, basically about fonts used, spacing and such. At some places each letter was enclosed in tags! Also some letters from words which are perfectly visibl
... See more
Hi there,
I am a newbie with Trados. I bought and downloaded Studio 2009 SP3 and installed it. I have been playing with the trial version and felt rather confident working with the editor. But now...

I received a word doc, which is converted from a PDF I am told. When I opened it with Trados 2009 SP3 the source was full of tags, basically about fonts used, spacing and such. At some places each letter was enclosed in tags! Also some letters from words which are perfectly visible in the doc when opened with Word (2010), but in Trados they seem to have disappeared. This was unworkable and I tried to get rid of these tags.
First I looked at Format>Tag Display Editor, but this was already set to show no tags. Changing this would to a higher level cluttered the source (and target) even more!
Next I looked into file type for Word, but I can't find what I could try here to get rid of these tags.

Questions:
Does this sound familiar? It could be a result from the conversion process, but I tried a few other Word docs, and some of them showed the same clutter, although far less then this specific doc. Other Word docs showed no clutter. I have tried to open a few other files, but nothing like that here.

Any idea how to get rid of these superfluous tags? This was a short document and I ended up translating this without Trados, which has cost me extra time. Or can I ask for a cleaned document from the client? The Word doc looked neat enough, some weird formatting here and there, but not much of a problem.
It's a pity I can't attach a screenprint of this, maybe that would make the situation a bit more clear.

TIA,
Hans Brouwer
Collapse

Nicolas Chaffaut  Identity Verified
France
English to French
+ ...
What about removing the text layout? May 18, 2011

Hi,

I often work with Studio 2009 and I've never seen that... Some tags here and there are normal to specify that part of the source unit is bold or italic for example but there shouldn't be so many of them.
According to me, it's due to the conversion process. What you could try is open the file in Word, select all the text and remove the text layout, i.e. text styles (sorry but I only know the menu's entries in French, I hope its clear enough...)
The should eliminate al
... See more
Hi,

I often work with Studio 2009 and I've never seen that... Some tags here and there are normal to specify that part of the source unit is bold or italic for example but there shouldn't be so many of them.
According to me, it's due to the conversion process. What you could try is open the file in Word, select all the text and remove the text layout, i.e. text styles (sorry but I only know the menu's entries in French, I hope its clear enough...)
The should eliminate all these useless tags.
I hope it will help...
Collapse

FreeHansje  Identity Verified
Dutch to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Yes it does help, but... May 18, 2011

Hi Nicolas,
Tnx for answering.
I get your point. I have done as you suggested. You are right, it will rid me of these pesky tags. But, it also removes the layout of the document, which will cost me a lot of time to put back together in the translated document. So, no matter what, I am [censured].

Oh well, it was a small doc, I did the translation without Trados. But for large files...
Bummer.

Tnx
Hans Brouwer

Emma Goldsmith  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2010)
Spanish to English
tags and OCR conversions May 18, 2011

Please see this thread and many others on this subject:
http://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/193988-word_doc_in_tag_editor_rash_of_cf_tags.html

Edited to add:
This thread also gives valuable advice on this problem:
See more
Please see this thread and many others on this subject:
http://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/193988-word_doc_in_tag_editor_rash_of_cf_tags.html

Edited to add:
This thread also gives valuable advice on this problem:
http://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/197234-tags_in_trados_2009.html#1727638

[Edited at 2011-05-18 14:59 GMT]
Collapse

Eileen Cartoon  Identity Verified
Italian to English
PDF mayhem May 18, 2011

I've had the same problem and since you said that the file was created from a pdf. What I did was highlight the whole word file (triple clicking on the left margin) and then selected a font (and perhaps a character size), saved the file and created a new project. All those tags were gone. It seems that sometimes, when creating a file from a pdf, the conversion program reads the characters as something but the spaces as something else. selecting a single font for the whole file eliminates all tho... See more
I've had the same problem and since you said that the file was created from a pdf. What I did was highlight the whole word file (triple clicking on the left margin) and then selected a font (and perhaps a character size), saved the file and created a new project. All those tags were gone. It seems that sometimes, when creating a file from a pdf, the conversion program reads the characters as something but the spaces as something else. selecting a single font for the whole file eliminates all those tags. It may be necessary then to go through (before creating the project) against the original pdf to check if any formatting needs to be arranged, but it is always a good idea to check hard returns before creating the project anyway.

Hope this helps
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Undeletable (HTML?) tags in Word doc, what to do about them?

Advanced search

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
WordFinder Unlimited
For clarity and excellence

WordFinder is the leading dictionary service that gives you the words you want anywhere, anytime. Access 260+ dictionaries from the world's leading dictionary publishers in virtually any device. Find the right word anywhere, anytime - online or offline.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search