Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 15:11
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
May 19, 2011

G'day everyone

I can't harvest a TTX file with SDL Edit Lite because it says the TTX file and ITD file don't have the same number of segments. This is ridiculous, of course, but you can't argue with a computer program.

Even if I export a TTX file and immediately try to harvest from it, I'm told that the number of segments don't match. The ITD file does have 871 segments and the TTX has 872 segments. The extra segment is the very first segment (I have discovered), but
... See more
G'day everyone

I can't harvest a TTX file with SDL Edit Lite because it says the TTX file and ITD file don't have the same number of segments. This is ridiculous, of course, but you can't argue with a computer program.

Even if I export a TTX file and immediately try to harvest from it, I'm told that the number of segments don't match. The ITD file does have 871 segments and the TTX has 872 segments. The extra segment is the very first segment (I have discovered), but deleting that segment from the TTX file doesn't fix the problem. I just wonder why would SDL Edit Lite export a file with the wrong number of segments in the first place?

I have SLD Edit Lite, Trados 2007 and Trados 2009. What can I do to get a translated ITD file? I got an ITD file from the client (weirdly with both SL and TL as EN-GB) and I need to deliver an ITD file as well. is there another way to translate the ITD file (using my TagEditor TM), perhaps?

What can I do or check to ensure that SDL Edit Lite exports the correct number of segments, so that it will happily harvest from a file it had just created?

I tried opening the original ITD file in Trados 2009, but it tells me that files with the same source and target language are not supported (why???). So does anyone know how to change the languages of an ITD file without buying SDLX?

I got a second ITD file from this client (with other languages) and that file simply worked. I exported the TTX, translated it, and then harvested the TTX... without any effort. But this other file... the misbehaving file, simply does not want to cooperate.

Any help appreciated.

Samuel

[Edited at 2011-05-19 23:14 GMT]
Collapse

Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 16:11
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Don't you have SDLX? May 20, 2011

Hi Samuel,
if you have SDL Studio you also should have SDL Trados 2007 with SDLX.

So you got an itd from the customer. Why do you need ttx? Can't you open the itd in SDLX lite?

Regards
Heinrich

Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
@Heinrich May 20, 2011

Heinrich Pesch wrote:
If you have SDL Studio you also should have SDL Trados 2007 with SDLX.

On my Start Menu folder for SDL Trados 2007 there is an option for SLDX Lite, but not for SDLX itself.

So you got an ITD from the customer. Why do you need TTX? Can't you open the ITD in SDLX Lite?

It is impossible to be a productive translator and use SDLX Lite at the same time. The format painting is the clincher -- you can't use keyboard shortcuts to paint, and if you misselect with the mouse, you can't expand the selection but instead have to cancel the selection and retry it. SDLX Lite is a failed experiment at innovative (read: weird) UI design, and nothing more.

Trados TagEditor, on the other hand, was clearly designed for use by real translators (although WFC is even faster). One can use TagEditor without having to have a steady mouse hand. Exporting and re-importing (or "harvesting") the ITD file (using SDLX Lite) to TTX boosts productivity ten-fold.

For me there is an additional boost since I translate the TTX file in WFC, which is even more keyboard-user friendly than TagEditor. In this case I'm sure that WFC didn't break the TTX file, because I also tried a TTX file that was re-translated from the TM using TagEditor itself.

Anyway, the client was able to use the TTX file, in this case, so I'm off the hook. But I've learnt my lesson (again).

Selcuk Akyuz  Identity Verified
Turkey
Local time: 16:11
Member (2006)
English to Turkish
+ ...
You can install SDLX May 20, 2011

Samuel Murray wrote:

Heinrich Pesch wrote:
If you have SDL Studio you also should have SDL Trados 2007 with SDLX.

On my Start Menu folder for SDL Trados 2007 there is an option for SLDX Lite, but not for SDLX itself.

SDLX is a part of SDL Trados 2007, check your account at SDL, it should be in your downloads.

For me there is an additional boost since I translate the TTX file in WFC, which is even more keyboard-user friendly than TagEditor. In this case I'm sure that WFC didn't break the TTX file, because I also tried a TTX file that was re-translated from the TM using TagEditor itself.

SDLX 2005 was a great tool, when compared to Trados 6.5, but unfortunately they stopped adding new features.

Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Are you sure? May 20, 2011

Selcuk Akyuz wrote:
SDLX is a part of SDL Trados 2007, check your account at SDL, it should be in your downloads.

I have licenses for these two products:
* SDL Trados 2007 Suite Freelance
* SDL Trados Studio 2009 Freelance Plus

SDLX is mentioned in the "Archived updates" section, but always in the context of customers who specifically use it, so it doesn't appear to have been bundled with my version of Trados. Anyway, it's not one of the options on my "Downloads" page. Can you see it as a specific option on your "Download" page?

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Misbehaving ITD file... any ideas?

Advanced search

SDL MultiTerm 2019
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2019 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2019 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »
SDL Trados Studio 2019 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2019 has evolved to bring translators a brand new experience. Designed with user experience at its core, Studio 2019 transforms how new users get up and running, helps experienced users make the most of the powerful features.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search