Studio: Change sorting of AutoSuggest entries?
Thread poster: Erik Freitag

Erik Freitag  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 16:48
Member (2006)
Dutch to German
+ ...
May 23, 2011

Dear all,

I've noticed that AutoSuggest entries (I'm referring to entries from the AutoSuggest dictionary only here) seem to be presented in the order of decreasing specificity.

Let me give you an example: The source segment is "groothandel". Upon pressing "G", AutoSuggest presents the following suggestions in that order:

Großhandelsstufe
Großhändlers
Großhandel

I have to scroll to the last item (which is the one I want), which
... See more
Dear all,

I've noticed that AutoSuggest entries (I'm referring to entries from the AutoSuggest dictionary only here) seem to be presented in the order of decreasing specificity.

Let me give you an example: The source segment is "groothandel". Upon pressing "G", AutoSuggest presents the following suggestions in that order:

Großhandelsstufe
Großhändlers
Großhandel

I have to scroll to the last item (which is the one I want), which in this case is two extra keytrokes.

Also, as I'm translating into an inflected language, AutoSuggest often presents me with several suggestions which only are inflected differently. Without having done a statistically sound survey, I'm under the impression that Studio is 100% reliable of sorting the most useful suggestion to the end of the list.

Am I alone? Are there any settings I should change?

Looking forward to your thoughts,
kind regards,
Erik

[Bearbeitet am 2011-05-23 11:16 GMT]
Collapse

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (1970)
English
Not sure of your conclusion... May 23, 2011

.... but maybe scroll up instead of down and you'll be at the bottom immediately

Regards

Paul

Germany
Member (2006)
Dutch to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Clarification May 23, 2011

Paul,

Thanks for your comment, but I think I have failed to make my point clear. Let me try to explain:

After having used AutoSuggest for quite some time now, I've realized that I can almost never use the suggestion I'm presented first. I will always have to chose one of the alternatives. And usually, it is the last alternative that suits best.

Having to scroll through the list sometimes is no problem. The strange fact is that AutoSuggest seems to consis
... See more
Paul,

Thanks for your comment, but I think I have failed to make my point clear. Let me try to explain:

After having used AutoSuggest for quite some time now, I've realized that I can almost never use the suggestion I'm presented first. I will always have to chose one of the alternatives. And usually, it is the last alternative that suits best.

Having to scroll through the list sometimes is no problem. The strange fact is that AutoSuggest seems to consistently evaluate the matches it has found in the exact opposite way it would be useful to me. I understand that this probably has to do with the fact that it's not looking for a determinate string, but instead has to apply statistics to the source segment as well.

Anyway, in my practical experience, reversing the sort order of the AutoSuggest suggestions would spare me a lot of hassle.

Paul, perhaps you could comment on the underlying mechanism? Do others experience the same behaviour?

Kind regards,
Erik

[Bearbeitet am 2011-05-23 12:14 GMT]

[Bearbeitet am 2011-05-23 12:14 GMT]
Collapse

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (1970)
English
Based on what I know May 23, 2011

Hi Erik,

This is the first time we’ve seen this reported, but think that the AS will display the longest suggestion first – where “longest” means “the phrase’s source words cover more words in the document source sentence”.

That is, if there are two phrases in the ASD (s1 s2, t1 t2 t3) and (s1, t1 t2), then the one which covers more source words will be displayed first.

The longest match isn’t necessarily the best one so we will continue to
... See more
Hi Erik,

This is the first time we’ve seen this reported, but think that the AS will display the longest suggestion first – where “longest” means “the phrase’s source words cover more words in the document source sentence”.

That is, if there are two phrases in the ASD (s1 s2, t1 t2 t3) and (s1, t1 t2), then the one which covers more source words will be displayed first.

The longest match isn’t necessarily the best one so we will continue to look at this to see what improvements we can make in the future.

In the meantime I asked around some of our Translators and they thought that sometimes the long suggestions are just fine, sometimes the shorter ones are better. But using arrow up to get to the end is something they do too, or just keep typing, depending on the selection. The more they use it the more they get used to learning how to get the best from it.

So I don't think it's quite as clear cut as you find it, because reversing the order might cause others to experience what you have shared here. Guess we just need more feedback to be able to find the best solution, and so far this is the first I've seen on this topic.

Regards

Paul
Collapse

Germany
Member (2006)
Dutch to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
food for thought May 23, 2011

Dear Paul,

Thanks for your explanation, which upon thinking about seems to match well with what I experience: The matches do indeed seem to be presented in the order of decreasing length.

Let me just share some thoughts on this. Wouldn't it be better the other way round? Without really having thought this through to the end, I think the first match should be a very safe one, even if this means a sacrifice regarding its length.

My reasoning would be that a
... See more
Dear Paul,

Thanks for your explanation, which upon thinking about seems to match well with what I experience: The matches do indeed seem to be presented in the order of decreasing length.

Let me just share some thoughts on this. Wouldn't it be better the other way round? Without really having thought this through to the end, I think the first match should be a very safe one, even if this means a sacrifice regarding its length.

My reasoning would be that a short, but safe match can be accepted by just pressing return. A longer match has a lower probability of being a 100% match, but if it is, it is worth a few keystrokes in order to select it, just because typing the whole match would mean more keystrokes. On the other hand, the benefits of a short match might be outweighed by the additional two, three, four, sometimes even five extra keystrokes I need in order to select it from the list.

In addition to that, imagine the following situation (which I'm making up, but I think it demonstrates my point):

Imagine the source text contains the word "opened". AS might suggest the following matches in this very order:

geöffneter
geöffneten
geöffnete
geöffnet

No matter which one I need in any given context, entering "geöffnet" into the target segment by one keystroke for which my right hand does not need to leave its position on the keyboard is a big help. I just add the correct inflective ending, if any at all, without disturbing the typing flow. This works in 100% of the cases (double meaning intended). Presently however, I need a good deal of luck so the case I need happens to be the one presented as the first in the list. For all other grammatical cases, I need to interrupt the flow of typing in order to position my hand on the up and down keys and back again.

I understand that this problem may be a special one for my language pairs, and especially for me as a quick typer. But as I said, this is just food for thought.

Thanks for your support,
kind regards,
Erik

[Bearbeitet am 2011-05-23 16:34 GMT]
Collapse

Adam Bojan  Identity Verified
Poland
Dutch to Polish
+ ...
this has already been suggested... May 24, 2011

by Astrid Vanbeek 424 days ago (!) as "Change order of suggestions from the Autosuggest Dictionary". She reports the same problem and ask for an option to reverse the order.
I also wish Studio had this option, so just voted for this idea.
Regards

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Studio: Change sorting of AutoSuggest entries?

Advanced search

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search