SDL Trados 2009 Tag Verification problem
Thread poster: ikooko
ikooko
ikooko
English to Japanese
+ ...
May 23, 2011

Does anyone know how to ignore a missing variable error that is triggered during the verification/generating a target file process, or disable this check?

In the document files I'm translating at the moment, all the product names appear as a variable. When translating into Japanese, I often come across strings that I don't need to use all the variables used in the source in the translation, but not using every variable in the source string seems to trigger an error.

T
... See more
Does anyone know how to ignore a missing variable error that is triggered during the verification/generating a target file process, or disable this check?

In the document files I'm translating at the moment, all the product names appear as a variable. When translating into Japanese, I often come across strings that I don't need to use all the variables used in the source in the translation, but not using every variable in the source string seems to trigger an error.

This was not problem when I was using SDL 2007.

It would be much appreicated if anyone could help me with this.
Collapse

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 09:00
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Variables or tags? May 24, 2011

Variables are not a problem, where missing tags may break the conversion to target format.

ikooko
ikooko
English to Japanese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
It is tags May 24, 2011

Many thanks for quick reply!!

It is tags but variables are displayed as tags in the editor (The original files are Framemaker's .mif files).

SDL 2009 just does not generate a target file because of this.

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
If Studio will not generate target, the source file has to be reworked May 24, 2011

It is not that Studio is badly designed, as tags are elements which have to be kept in target (with just few exceptions).
In this case the source file is badly designed, indeed.
Have had similar myself - where certain standard parts like screw, nut and so on where variable and thus uneditable in CAT. I have had to rework the whole source text in order to be able to translate into Polish.

ikooko
ikooko
English to Japanese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you May 25, 2011

In case you're interested, this is the message I received:

Missing 'variable' reference tag within the segment ID '103-104'. Please run the Tag Verification to see details.

As I had no problem ignoring this particular tag when I was using SDL 2007, I was completely buffled. In my humble opinion, since this particular tag is not vital, there should be a way to surpress the error.

Once again, thanks for your reply.

ikooko
ikooko
English to Japanese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
FYI Jun 6, 2011

I had a reply from SDL and they admitted that this is a bug. All variables need to be in the translation at the moment.

Matska
Matska
English to Hungarian
Tag verification is ok, but target cannot be saved Jul 4, 2012

Hello all,

I have nade a translation with Studio 2009 and it indicates an error when I click 'Save target as' saying that a bookmarkend tag is missing. I run the Verify tool and it says no error... So this bug is still existing?? No remedy for this? Additionally, the focus does not go to any of the seegments to show where the tag is missing...

Last year you wrote about this and someone had the opinion that we should rework on the file to be translated...what should I lo
... See more
Hello all,

I have nade a translation with Studio 2009 and it indicates an error when I click 'Save target as' saying that a bookmarkend tag is missing. I run the Verify tool and it says no error... So this bug is still existing?? No remedy for this? Additionally, the focus does not go to any of the seegments to show where the tag is missing...

Last year you wrote about this and someone had the opinion that we should rework on the file to be translated...what should I look for or change in the original text and how? I do not want to re-translate the file 'by hand'

Thanks for you reply, in advance,
Evelin
Collapse

ikooko
ikooko
English to Japanese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Not a good news Jul 4, 2012

Matska

We just heard from SDL and this is what they said about the issue I posted.

"This has been fixed in Studio 2011 SP2 but is not available for 2009 versions, I’m afraid.
You get a warning as usually the variables are important but the file is saved without it."

We kind of decided that we have no choice but upgrading our 2009 version.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

SDL Trados 2009 Tag Verification problem

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »