Searching for Common Phrases
Thread poster: sophie_jane

sophie_jane
Local time: 18:30
German to English
May 24, 2011

I use Trados Studio 2009 and translate from German to English.

Does anyone know if there is a way to search the translation memory to find strings of words that are commonly used in either the source or target languages?

We are setting up an online help system in my company at the moment and want to find "set phrases" so that people writing texts can pick them from a list and not use wording that does not suit our corporate identity,

e.g. click here to ...<
... See more

Does anyone know if there is a way to search the translation memory to find strings of words that are commonly used in either the source or target languages?

We are setting up an online help system in my company at the moment and want to find "set phrases" so that people writing texts can pick them from a list and not use wording that does not suit our corporate identity,

e.g. click here to ...

Any ideas?
Collapse

Giles Watson  Identity Verified
Italy
Italian to English
In memoriam
MT Extract or SDL Phrase Finder May 24, 2011

You could play around with these tools (one is based on statistical algorithms, the other uses linguistic ones).

You will need a separate licence but you can get an idea of whether it is worth the expense by consulting the SDL MULTITERM EXTRACT TOOLS USER GUIDE is in the SDL\SDL Multitern\Multiterm 8\Doc folder of your Studio installation.

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (1970)
English
Interesting post May 24, 2011

sophie_jane wrote:

e.g. click here to ...

Any ideas?

Hi,

The creation of an AutoSuggest Dictionary does just this; and if you were to use our Authoring tools for this they can actually use the AutoSuggest Dictionary for the authoring process so that you are more likely to get your consistency and write with material that had been translated before. It also uses a MultiTerm termbase so you can use the approved terminology too.

If you would like to know more about this drop me an email.

Regards

Paul
pfilkin@sdl.com

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Searching for Common Phrases

Advanced search

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »
Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search