how to process tmx extension TMs
Thread poster: Maria San Martin

Maria San Martin  Identity Verified
Local time: 20:39
German to Spanish
+ ...
Apr 1, 2004

Hi, everyone,

i have just got a file from a client. Its extension is .tmx and the Workbench only recognises .tmw.

My version and the version required for this job is Trados 6.0 or higher. I own Trados 6.5.

So how can i open this type of file in order to open and get the TM ok??

Has anyone have this problem before?

Thank you in advance!

Maria

Direct link Reply with quote

Robert Trojanowicz  Identity Verified
Local time: 19:39
Polish
+ ...
TMX file Apr 1, 2004

Maria San Martin wrote:

Hi, everyone,

i have just got a file from a client. Its extension is .tmx and the Workbench only recognises .tmw.

My version and the version required for this job is Trados 6.0 or higher. I own Trados 6.5.

So how can i open this type of file in order to open and get the TM ok??

Has anyone have this problem before?

Thank you in advance!

Maria

Hi Maria
You need to create empty TM and IMPORT this file (or import to TM base you're using)
That should do
Rgds
Robert

xxx00000000
English to French
+ ...
Import Apr 1, 2004

In Workbench, create a new TM. Then, under File, use Import to import the TMX into the empty TM.

Best,
Esther

Maria San Martin  Identity Verified
German to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you guys Apr 7, 2004

Thanks,

it worked!

have a nice day!

Maria
Esther Pfeffer wrote:

In Workbench, create a new TM. Then, under File, use Import to import the TMX into the empty TM.

Best,
Esther

Joern Wennerstroem  Identity Verified
English to Danish
+ ...
Legacy badly supported Sep 14, 2010

It surprises me this very important legacy issue is so badly supported from Trados. I'd suppose a built-in option for choosing the proper export-format were to be found in Trados Studio 2009. Not so: I tried a number of times via TS 2009, allowing for the fact you haven't really understood this behemoth of a CAT-tool. It dawns upon you SDL have NOT implemented this very useful feature! We're between versions SDL!! I bought TS 2009 hoping I'd be on the forefront of things and the firm behind had taken proper care of legacy issues. It is still so a sizable number of bureaus rely on the .ttx format and want their files back just so. I've learned (after a lot of frustrations and a helpful reply from SDL's support) how to tackle this. Now - having scoured the help files of TS 2009 and TS 2007 I come to this forum and find luckily a useable answer to my problems. When I get TS 2009 up and running it functions OK and then some, but importing/exporting is a nightmare. I find the firms' lackadaisical approach to this important issue inadmissible. What would have been simpler and more user-friendly than supplying TS 2009 with the proper set of import/export filters, everyone would've been happy and SDL-support and the rest of us could resort to occupy ourselves with malformed files etc.
Sorry for my rant, I simply had to get this off my chest. I'll forward it to SDL, after all they should take action on this.

Joern W.

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Off topic here: what do you mean by your longish posting? Sep 14, 2010

Joern Wennerstroem wrote:

It surprises me this very important legacy issue is so badly supported from Trados. I'd suppose a built-in option for choosing the proper export-format were to be found in Trados Studio 2009. Not so: I tried a number of times via TS 2009, allowing for the fact you haven't really understood this behemoth of a CAT-tool. It dawns upon you SDL have NOT implemented this very useful feature! We're between versions SDL!! I bought TS 2009 hoping I'd be on the forefront of things and the firm behind had taken proper care of legacy issues. It is still so a sizable number of bureaus rely on the .ttx format and want their files back just so. I've learned (after a lot of frustrations and a helpful reply from SDL's support) how to tackle this. Now - having scoured the help files of TS 2009 and TS 2007 I come to this forum and find luckily a useable answer to my problems. When I get TS 2009 up and running it functions OK and then some, but importing/exporting is a nightmare. I find the firms' lackadaisical approach to this important issue inadmissible. What would have been simpler and more user-friendly than supplying TS 2009 with the proper set of import/export filters, everyone would've been happy and SDL-support and the rest of us could resort to occupy ourselves with malformed files etc.
Sorry for my rant, I simply had to get this off my chest. I'll forward it to SDL, after all they should take action on this.

Joern W.

What kind of legacy support do you miss? The only not supported legacy format is bilingual Word.
But you can deliver ttx files without any problem, you can export TM to TMX and this can be imported by Trados 2007. So there is full legacy support in my oppinion.
Not having the Word bilnigual workflow is definitely the step in the right direction and will hopefully stop using Word as text editor and CAT tool in one in the future.

Walter Blaser  Identity Verified
Switzerland
French to German
+ ...
Quite confusing, I am afraid Sep 15, 2010

Joern Wennerstroem wrote:

It surprises me this very important legacy issue is so badly supported from Trados. I'd suppose a built-in option for choosing the proper export-format were to be found in Trados Studio 2009. Not so: I tried a number of times via TS 2009, allowing for the fact you haven't really understood this behemoth of a CAT-tool.

Which issue are you referring to? Exporting works fine, the only supported export format is TMX, so you don't have to choose anything.

It dawns upon you SDL have NOT implemented this very useful feature!

Would be helpful if you could tell us which feature you mean.

We're between versions SDL!!

Please explain!

I bought TS 2009 hoping I'd be on the forefront of things and the firm behind had taken proper care of legacy issues. It is still so a sizable number of bureaus rely on the .ttx format and want their files back just so.

As Jerzy already pointed out, Studio includes support for the TTX format in order to keep compatibility. It however uses the new format SDLXLIFF by default and this is by design and intention because SDL wants to move to industry-standard formats, which TTX is not.

Studio 2009 is not just a new release of the product, it is a new generation of products and the move might imply that users, including bureaus, adapt their workflows. We are aware that this might take some time and this is why the compatibility option has beein included, but in the long-term we should get away from TTX and bilingual Word format.

Walter

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

how to process tmx extension TMs

Advanced search

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »
memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search