Off topic: is there a way to change language of the source text from US English to UK English?
Thread poster: Nihal Sen

Nihal Sen
United States
Local time: 06:32
English to Turkish
+ ...
May 26, 2011

Hi,

I am a freelancer and currently I am working on a project from English to Turkish. I have selected the source text as US English and now the Client rejects my translation because the language of the source text sould have been UK English - I was not told so until after i deliver the translation.

If I create a UK English database, I need to retranslate from the beginning and I could not find a way to somehow copy the translation from the US database to the UK databas
... See more
Hi,

I am a freelancer and currently I am working on a project from English to Turkish. I have selected the source text as US English and now the Client rejects my translation because the language of the source text sould have been UK English - I was not told so until after i deliver the translation.

If I create a UK English database, I need to retranslate from the beginning and I could not find a way to somehow copy the translation from the US database to the UK database. Does anyone know how to do this kinds of stuff?

I appreciate your help.

Best,

Nihal.
Collapse

Michal Glowacki  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 12:32
Member (2010)
English to Polish
+ ...
Notepad May 26, 2011

If you're using Trados 2007:

TM:
1. Export the TM into any format (TXT or TMX) and open it in Notepad.
2. Search for "EN-US" and replace with "EN-GB" (please search for exactly "EN-US", including the " ")
3. Create a new TM in Workbench with the proper languages and import the file.

If the file was TTX, do the same - open it in notepad and search and replace "EN-US" for "EN-GB".

If you're using Trados 2009 the procedure should be large
... See more
If you're using Trados 2007:

TM:
1. Export the TM into any format (TXT or TMX) and open it in Notepad.
2. Search for "EN-US" and replace with "EN-GB" (please search for exactly "EN-US", including the " ")
3. Create a new TM in Workbench with the proper languages and import the file.

If the file was TTX, do the same - open it in notepad and search and replace "EN-US" for "EN-GB".

If you're using Trados 2009 the procedure should be largely the same, so just open the files in notepad and search and replace the codes.

ALSO: make sure you have a backup copy of these files just in case an error creeps into the process.

Hope this helps.
Collapse

Nihal Sen
United States
Local time: 06:32
English to Turkish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
:) May 26, 2011

Thank you so much!

[Edited at 2011-05-26 12:40 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

is there a way to change language of the source text from US English to UK English?

Advanced search

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search