https://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/200503-medical_glossary_of_about_8000_terms_in_exchange_for_a_little_help.html

Medical glossary of about 8000 terms: in exchange for a little help
Thread poster: Bruno Depascale

Bruno Depascale  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 05:13
Member (2009)
English to Italian
+ ...
Jun 6, 2011

Hi Everybody,
I'd like to ask your opinion about a very tough problem I have with Multiterm.
I used to work with a specialized termbase of about 8,000 words in Trados Studio 2009.
Both my Studio 2009 and Multiterm 2009 were updated (sp3 and sp4 respectively).
This specialized termbase, was set as my default termbase in Studio 2009.
About 1 week ago, I had to do a translation on a generic subject, so I removed this termbase from the list of 'favourite termbases'
... See more
Hi Everybody,
I'd like to ask your opinion about a very tough problem I have with Multiterm.
I used to work with a specialized termbase of about 8,000 words in Trados Studio 2009.
Both my Studio 2009 and Multiterm 2009 were updated (sp3 and sp4 respectively).
This specialized termbase, was set as my default termbase in Studio 2009.
About 1 week ago, I had to do a translation on a generic subject, so I removed this termbase from the list of 'favourite termbases' in Studio 2009.
When I finished this translation, I received another job on a specialized subject. As usual, I opened the file in Studio 2009, and tried to open my specialized termbase, but I got the following message: "The termbase cannot be opened because it has been created with an unsupported version of multiterm".

I finished the translation without termbase and then surfed the net to find a solution to this problem. I found the followin proz.com posts:

-http://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/160267-multiterm_2009_cannot_open_termbase_nor_create_one.html

- http://deu.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/187961-multiterm_sp3_wont_open_any_tb.html

and the following sdl articles:

-http://kb.sdl.com/display/2/index.aspx?c=&cpc=&cid=&t=sf&r=0.970480263233185

-http://kb.sdl.com/display/2/index.aspx?tab=search

My attempts to resolve the problem were the following:

1)First af all, I removed Multiterm from my PC and reinstalled it again: it didn't work.

2)Secondly, I run the "RepairSDLMultiTermDesktop2009SP4" tool: it didn't work either.

3)Thirdly, I followed the advice posted on a proz.com forum: I removed multiterm, deleted leftover files, removed Java from my PC and downloaded multiterm sp4 through sdl ftp. I installed it again, but the problem persists.

The strange thing in all this is that Multiterm opens older termbases (created with multiterm 2009 sp3).
For not losing this precious termbase I had also made some back-up copies: but when I open the folder in which they are located, there is no sdltb. mdb. file to display (that is, the coloured multiterm icon).

Since I have another Multiterm sp3 located in my older PC, I have aldo tried to open the termbase with it, with no results.
I hope somebody can help me with this problem, because it is really demoralizing to lose a termbase with thousands of terms inside.
I have read all the articles in the sdl knowledge base, with no results. For what I have understood, if I need support from sdl, I have to paid something like 169,00 € (http://kb.sdl.com/display/2/index.aspx?tab=opt5). There is no other way.

Thank you very much for your help.
Bruno

[Edited at 2011-06-07 11:08 GMT]

[Edited at 2011-06-07 11:11 GMT]
Collapse

Bruno Depascale  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2009)
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Medical glossary of about 8000 terms: in exchange for a little help Jun 7, 2011

Dear colleagues,
could anybody do me the little favour of checking if the sdltb. file opens with his/her version of multiterm?
If it opens, I would need the termbase exported in order to create a new one that opens with my Multiterm sp4.
Of course, the one who will do this will keep all the 8.000 medical terms contained in it.
Please contact me through the proz.com mail system.
Thanks for your help,
Bruno

[Edited at 2011-06-07 11:12 GMT]

FarkasAndras  Identity Verified
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Farsi-Hebrew homeopathy glossary? Jun 7, 2011

If you're hoping that somebody will help you out in the hopes of getting the termbase, you might as well post what languages it contains and what source you got it from...

Either way, if you send the TB to quca at freemail [com], I'll have a look at it. It won't be any use to me but I might as well spend the 30 seconds it takes to give it a try.

Peter Sass
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Just a thought Jun 14, 2011

Hi Bruno,

Have you managed to solve your problem?

If not, a step towards a solution may be to find out whether or not you had upgraded the termbase to SP3 (or SP4) after updating Studio and Multiterm.

It appears that when opening a termbase in SP3, the upgrade is done automatically - for all existing termbases on your system, not just the one you'rer working with. At least this was so in my case, that's why I was similiarly worried when I got this error me
... See more
Hi Bruno,

Have you managed to solve your problem?

If not, a step towards a solution may be to find out whether or not you had upgraded the termbase to SP3 (or SP4) after updating Studio and Multiterm.

It appears that when opening a termbase in SP3, the upgrade is done automatically - for all existing termbases on your system, not just the one you'rer working with. At least this was so in my case, that's why I was similiarly worried when I got this error message.
In the end, I managed to access the termase again, so I guess there's hope in youre case, too.

Let us know if you made any progress.

Best wishes

Peter
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Medical glossary of about 8000 terms: in exchange for a little help

Advanced search

Translation news related to SDL Trados

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »
SDL Trados Studio 2019 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2019 has evolved to bring translators a brand new experience. Designed with user experience at its core, Studio 2019 transforms how new users get up and running and helps experienced users make the most of the powerful features.

More info »