Obscure error message in Trados Studio: Unexpected exception when configuring file converter ...
Thread poster: Sarah Downing
Sarah Downing
Sarah Downing  Identity Verified
Local time: 07:55
German to English
+ ...
Jun 6, 2011

Dear Trados users,

I'm creating a new project in Trados Studio and when I get to the Preparing project stage, it performs Converts to translatable format and Copy to target languages just fine. However, when it gets to Analyze files, Pre-translate files and Populate project translation memories (what exactly does this step mean btw - is it referring to the updating of the TM as I translate?) I get 1 error message (and the same error message for all three):
Unexpected exceptio
... See more
Dear Trados users,

I'm creating a new project in Trados Studio and when I get to the Preparing project stage, it performs Converts to translatable format and Copy to target languages just fine. However, when it gets to Analyze files, Pre-translate files and Populate project translation memories (what exactly does this step mean btw - is it referring to the updating of the TM as I translate?) I get 1 error message (and the same error message for all three):
Unexpected exception when configuring file converter for task 'Populate project translation memories'. An error occurred creating a file based translation memory ...'

What's slightly confusing is that when I actually click finish, the project is created, the TM is there along with the file and the TM appears to be updating, so I'm not sure what's going on. I've already tried a Google search, but without an error number it's really difficult to find anything at all.

I'd be really grateful if anyone could help me with this. It frustrates me that the error seems rather non-specific as I've been able to figure out what was wrong from past errors, but this one just baffles me.

In case this info is needed, I'm using Word 2010 with the OS XP Professional.

Thank you in advance!

Sarah Downing

PS: What I'd also be really interested in knowing is how on earth I'm supposed to search for error messages without a number. This is one feature I definitely preferred in Trados Synergy - I don't like having to ask for help when I can figure things out for myself, but despite extensive Googling of this message, I couldn't find anything useful. I am wondering if there is a list somewhere of Trados error messages that I can refer to next time I encounter this.

[Edited at 2011-06-06 19:46 GMT]
Collapse

RWSTranslation
RWSTranslation
Germany
Local time: 13:55
German to English
+ ...
Do you really need a project TM? Jun 10, 2011

Hello Sarah

My first question is: do you need really a project TM?

A project TM is used to filter the content of the main TMs which are set in the Wizard TM window, sort of temporary TM: Studio copies all segments which may be relevant for your translation in a "new" TM which will be sent to your translators.

Advantages:
- your translators don't receive a TM which is too big
- they save their translated segments in this temporary TM and don't
... See more
Hello Sarah

My first question is: do you need really a project TM?

A project TM is used to filter the content of the main TMs which are set in the Wizard TM window, sort of temporary TM: Studio copies all segments which may be relevant for your translation in a "new" TM which will be sent to your translators.

Advantages:
- your translators don't receive a TM which is too big
- they save their translated segments in this temporary TM and don't have access to the main TM at all (data protection).

When you receive the translation back, you will have to "update main translation memories" to save the new translated segments in the main TM (eventually after proof reading).

If you prepare a translation for yourself and don't have to "protect" your main TM, you don't have to use this Batch Sequence. Use Prepare without project TM. That's what I use most of the time.

If you do need troubleshooting:
first of all is to proof where the project TM has to be saved and whether the target location is available or not (read-only folder?).

Sébastien

[Bearbeitet am 2011-06-10 06:36 GMT]
Collapse

Sarah Downing
Sarah Downing  Identity Verified
Local time: 07:55
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks for the great explanation, Sébastien Jun 10, 2011

Hi Sébastien,

First off, thanks for your detailed explanation of project TMs. I haven't been using Studio that long and pretty much figured out for myself how to create a project. It's been going fine so far, but I guess I didn't realise the function of the project TM until now. I was actually told the same thing when I contacted the lady I did the Trados Beginners' course with and subsquently tried to create the same project with the project TM. Lo and behold, it actually worked,
... See more
Hi Sébastien,

First off, thanks for your detailed explanation of project TMs. I haven't been using Studio that long and pretty much figured out for myself how to create a project. It's been going fine so far, but I guess I didn't realise the function of the project TM until now. I was actually told the same thing when I contacted the lady I did the Trados Beginners' course with and subsquently tried to create the same project with the project TM. Lo and behold, it actually worked, so this may well have been the problem. I won't be creating project TMs in future as I'm not a project manager.

Thanks again!

Sarah
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Obscure error message in Trados Studio: Unexpected exception when configuring file converter ...

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »