Important improvements for Trados Studio
Thread poster: Jo Macdonald

Jo Macdonald  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
Italian to English
+ ...
Jun 7, 2011

I've noticed some of the Trados team on the Proz forums, and it would be great if you could include a few important improvements in the next program update, asap.

There are a few things in Studio that would save a vast amount of time for me. I'm sure other people will add their suggestions.

Logical/intelligent copy/paste (with trailing white space)
Activate/deactivate "change decimal separator"

At the moment just these two improvements alone would sav
... See more
I've noticed some of the Trados team on the Proz forums, and it would be great if you could include a few important improvements in the next program update, asap.

There are a few things in Studio that would save a vast amount of time for me. I'm sure other people will add their suggestions.

Logical/intelligent copy/paste (with trailing white space)
Activate/deactivate "change decimal separator"

At the moment just these two improvements alone would save an enormous amount of time currently wasted formatting spaces when moving words and changing decimal separators in Euro back to what they should be after automated changes made by the program.

The program is great, but these two features are desperately needed to make it a time-efficient work tool.

Thanks
Collapse

FarkasAndras  Identity Verified
Local time: 10:55
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Copy-paste? Jun 7, 2011

I'm not sure "intelligent" copy-paste would be an improvement. If it was implemented, you might be the only person who liked it. When the copy-pasted word is followed by a suffix, a comma, semicolon, question mark etc., you don't want a space after it. Even when it isn't, most people would hit space automatically and end up with double spaces. Sometimes, it's best if software doesn't try to be intelligent (cf. intelligent tags in Word).

[Edited at 2011-06-07 08:26 GMT]

Spain
Member (2005)
Italian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
That's not the way it works in Word Jun 7, 2011

FarkasAndras wrote:

I'm not sure "intelligent" copy-paste would be an improvement. If it was implemented, you might be the only person who liked it. When the copy-pasted word is followed by a suffix, a comma, semicolon, question mark etc., you don't want a space after it. Even when it isn't, most people would hit space automatically and end up with double spaces. Sometimes, it's best if software doesn't try to be intelligent (cf. intelligent tags in Word).

[Edited at 2011-06-07 08:26 GMT]

Hi FarkasAndras,
I don't know what word processor you use, but in Word this function doesn't insert a space between the word you moved and punctuation. It just adds a space between words.

Personally I'd tend to hit space if typing in a word, but not when pasting in a word or moving it.

In any case if you can activate/deactivate the function, you could just turn it off.

This is a function that's been an option in Word for more than 10 years now. If we're using Trados to process words I want the option to use it there too.

FarkasAndras  Identity Verified
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Oh, that... Jun 7, 2011

As you wrote "trailing whitespace", I thought you meant adding a trailing space to anything that is pasted in the editor from the source side of the editor or whatever outside source.
What you actually mean (automatically normalize spaces before and after words when text is moved around within the target panel in the editor) makes a lot more sense. I can't say I miss this feature particularly, but I guess it would be nice to have.

... See more
As you wrote "trailing whitespace", I thought you meant adding a trailing space to anything that is pasted in the editor from the source side of the editor or whatever outside source.
What you actually mean (automatically normalize spaces before and after words when text is moved around within the target panel in the editor) makes a lot more sense. I can't say I miss this feature particularly, but I guess it would be nice to have.

Note: whitespace is a much broader group of characters than the regular space. It includes non-breaking space, tab, line break characters and more.
Collapse

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (1970)
English
Ideas.sdl.com Jun 7, 2011

Hi,

The best place to add a request for things like this is to use the ideas site. This give other users to ability to support the request and we can then keep track of the request more easily.

http://ideas.sdl.com/

Regards

Paul

Spain
Member (2005)
Italian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Ideas Jun 7, 2011

Thanks Paul,
Added my feedback to another translator's call for the logical copy/paste feature a while back on your ideas site, for TagEditor I think but imo the idea is valid for anything we're processing words with.

Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 11:55
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Intelligent pasting Jun 7, 2011

This should be implemented, but I doubt if they have the ability. In Word you can safely use replace all, because the software adjusts automatically capital letters if needed. I haven't seen any other software that can do it.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Important improvements for Trados Studio

Advanced search

BaccS – an SDL product
Modern translation business management for freelancers and agencies

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »
SDL Trados Studio 2019 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2019 has evolved to bring translators a brand new experience. Designed with user experience at its core, Studio 2019 transforms how new users get up and running and helps experienced users make the most of the powerful features.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search