Trados is on dead computer
Thread poster: Kitty Maerz

Kitty Maerz  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 20:15
English to German
+ ...
Jun 10, 2011

Help! My computer died last week and I bought a new one. On my old computer I was running SDL Freelance 2007 and everything was working (more or less). Anyway, I do not know how I can get Trados onto the new computer. I guess I could download the program from the website but I can't use my license key unless I first return the one from the old computer (I think).

Now, the hard disk of my computer was NOT affected and I can access it via an adapter. However, even if I try to start Tr
... See more
Help! My computer died last week and I bought a new one. On my old computer I was running SDL Freelance 2007 and everything was working (more or less). Anyway, I do not know how I can get Trados onto the new computer. I guess I could download the program from the website but I can't use my license key unless I first return the one from the old computer (I think).

Now, the hard disk of my computer was NOT affected and I can access it via an adapter. However, even if I try to start Trados from the old hard disk I get a message that the license has expired/I need a license. Apparently, the program can't find the license key.

Does anyone know how to get Trados to run on the new computer / how to return the key from the old computer so that I can reinstall on the new one? Of course I was in the middle of a file when the computer died and I need to finish the file up as my deadline is looming.

Any help greatly appreciated!
Collapse

Steven Capsuto  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 14:15
Member (2004)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Contact SDL tech support Jun 10, 2011

They used to be relatively unfriendly about resetting license keys following crashes, but reportedly they've had a change of heart and are now willing to reset the license manually on their end without a hassle.

Germany
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Jun 10, 2011

I can't even find the right place in order contact SDL tech support! I will keep looking for it.

Why doesn't SDL work though when I use my old hard drive? Shouldn't the license be on there too? The problem is that I am going on vacation tomorrow and I really need this to work today. Doesn't look too hopeful though.

Alexandre Maricato
Brazil
Local time: 15:15
English to Portuguese
Booting with your old HD? Jun 10, 2011

Did you boot the new computer using the old HD?

If you boot using the HD from the new computer and is using your old HD as an external or slave drive, it may be because Trados places some instructions on Windows Registry (and if you are using the Windows from the new computer, Trados won't find these instructions as the new computer is using the OS from the new HD).

This is a complete assumption, but I think it is worth a try.

Hope it helps.

ghislandi  Identity Verified
Local time: 19:15
Member (2011)
English to Italian
Installation / licensing Jun 10, 2011

Hello

I am from SDL.

if you visit this page
http://www.translationzone.com/en/support/solution-finder.asp

You should be able to find all the information.

When you are in the http://kb.sdl.com and selected the Solution Finder section, and then
... See more
Hello

I am from SDL.

if you visit this page
http://www.translationzone.com/en/support/solution-finder.asp

You should be able to find all the information.

When you are in the http://kb.sdl.com and selected the Solution Finder section, and then Select on the left hand side menu 'Licensing Problems' you can choose 'I have lost one of my license activations'.

We will reset the license for your.

Hope this helps.

Regards
Massi

[Edited at 2011-06-10 15:11 GMT]
Collapse

Germany
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Still have a problem Jun 10, 2011

Thanks, Ghislandi. I appreciate the help. Unfortunately, I still have a problem. I found that page before but get an error message (something about "node not found"?) and can't fill in the first several required fields (with pull-down menu). Because of that the program won't let me send the message. Is there any other way to send it?

Rachel Fell  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 19:15
French to English
+ ...
email Jun 11, 2011

Hi Kitty, I think you may get more help if you send them an email explaining your problem, if you haven't already done so. Even if you can't find the right person to contact, I should think your email will get passed on to him/her.

Germany
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I will Jun 11, 2011

Thanks, everyone. Luckily, someone on ProZ was nice enough to clean the files I had worked on for me! So it isn't quite so urgent anymore. I am going on vacation today (that's why I was so rushed yesterday), but once I have returned I will try again to contact SDL. Unfortunately, it isn't so easy to find an email address to send something to - you are always sent back to the same pages (which don't work for me). Still, I am sure I can get it fixed somehow.

Again, thank you to everyb
... See more
Thanks, everyone. Luckily, someone on ProZ was nice enough to clean the files I had worked on for me! So it isn't quite so urgent anymore. I am going on vacation today (that's why I was so rushed yesterday), but once I have returned I will try again to contact SDL. Unfortunately, it isn't so easy to find an email address to send something to - you are always sent back to the same pages (which don't work for me). Still, I am sure I can get it fixed somehow.

Again, thank you to everybody who was nice enough to try to help with this!
Collapse

Eileen Cartoon  Identity Verified
Italian to English
return license Jun 11, 2011

If you can get to use your old hard drive. Log onto the internet, go to SDL and return the license. Then you can activate the license for the new computer. I had the same problem once only I couldn't access my old computer. They freed up a new license and I was able get set up and running again.
Contact them, I have always found them extremely helpful.

Abrigela
Hungarian to English
+ ...
It's not so hard Jun 11, 2011

Hi,

Contacting SDL through their Solution Finder is really easy and it is the recommended way if you don't have a support contract. Just go to the Knowledgebase at http://kb.sdl.com and then to the tab across the top with Solution Finder written on it.

Then select Licensing Problems on the left and then in your case "I have lost one of my license activations." This gives you a contact form tha
... See more
Hi,

Contacting SDL through their Solution Finder is really easy and it is the recommended way if you don't have a support contract. Just go to the Knowledgebase at http://kb.sdl.com and then to the tab across the top with Solution Finder written on it.

Then select Licensing Problems on the left and then in your case "I have lost one of my license activations." This gives you a contact form that you can complete and SDL do get back to you.

Abrigela.
Collapse

gad
United States
Local time: 14:15
French to English
Probably best to give them a call or send an email Jun 13, 2011

I seem to recall that when my old computer crashed, obviously I was in a similar situation and thus had to contact SDL support and get a hold of someone personally in order to get everything straightened out. But I did get it straightened out, and as I recall they were helpful.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trados is on dead computer

Advanced search

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search