How to merge the main TM of the client and my own?
Thread poster: Vitals

Vitals  Identity Verified
Lithuania
Local time: 08:34
English to Lithuanian
+ ...
Jun 11, 2011

Dear all,

I am working with Studio 2009. The client supplied a TM (I exported it from tmx). I checked the TM for "update" in the Project Settings.

However, all my translated units do not reflect in the main TM of the client now (do not know why...). I was trying to find all of my units, and found them in the Project folder of my language pair (LT-lt) - I found a TM with all my units.

Now I woud like the client's TM to be merged with my TM somehow, so th
... See more
Dear all,

I am working with Studio 2009. The client supplied a TM (I exported it from tmx). I checked the TM for "update" in the Project Settings.

However, all my translated units do not reflect in the main TM of the client now (do not know why...). I was trying to find all of my units, and found them in the Project folder of my language pair (LT-lt) - I found a TM with all my units.

Now I woud like the client's TM to be merged with my TM somehow, so that I could have only one TM. I want to start a new Project where I need both clien'ts and my TMs, but Trados says "You can not add a TM to the main list".

Moreover, finally I will have to supply the client with a TM with my translations included, so I will need that single TM badly...

Can someone explain to me how I can merge the two TMs?

Yours sincerely,
VS
Collapse

Emma Goldsmith  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 07:34
Member (2010)
Spanish to English
Project TM Jun 11, 2011

It sounds as if you have created a project TM, which is where all your newly translated segments are.
- To update your main TM, go to batch tasks>update main TMs.
- To send your client his/her up-to-date TM, go to Translation Memory window and open the TM you were sent. Then click on import and add your sdlxliff bilingual file. (your client could also do this easily, avoiding the need to send big TMs back and forth).
-To create a new project in the future you can definitely add
... See more
It sounds as if you have created a project TM, which is where all your newly translated segments are.
- To update your main TM, go to batch tasks>update main TMs.
- To send your client his/her up-to-date TM, go to Translation Memory window and open the TM you were sent. Then click on import and add your sdlxliff bilingual file. (your client could also do this easily, avoiding the need to send big TMs back and forth).
-To create a new project in the future you can definitely add as many TMs as you like, either when you are creating it, or when it is already set up by going to project settings>language pairs>Translation memory...

HTH,
Emma
Collapse

Vitals  Identity Verified
Lithuania
Local time: 08:34
English to Lithuanian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Jun 11, 2011

Thank you, Emma, for all the useful and timely tips.

Have a nice day!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to merge the main TM of the client and my own?

Advanced search

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search