Reviewing a single sdlxliff file without creating a project/package - is it possible?
Thread poster: T-tive

T-tive
Local time: 09:17
Jun 13, 2011

Hi,

recently our agency started to use Trados 2009 and we still are in the middle of incorporating the software into our workflow.
We have a following issue:
We have a translated sdlxliff file from a project created on computer A. This sdlxliff file was moved to our internal server and now we want to review it on computer B. Why is it not possible to simply open this single sdlxliff file for review?

We know, that creating a package (and task "for review") i
... See more
Hi,

recently our agency started to use Trados 2009 and we still are in the middle of incorporating the software into our workflow.
We have a following issue:
We have a translated sdlxliff file from a project created on computer A. This sdlxliff file was moved to our internal server and now we want to review it on computer B. Why is it not possible to simply open this single sdlxliff file for review?

We know, that creating a package (and task "for review") is not an option, because our computers are equipped with freelance version of Trados 2009. At the moment we can use the feature "open for review" on computer B, only if we create a project first - but this extra step is a waist of time, considering that we already created a project on computer A.

Does anyone know a solution to this?
How can we open for review any sdlxliff file on any given computer without creating a project?
We want to be able to use the review statuses for the segments but avoid all the "extra" work.

Best Regards,

Lukasz
Collapse

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 08:17
Member (1970)
English
Version differences? Jun 13, 2011

Hi Lukasz,

I would expect this to always work, unless you were trying to add it to an existing project with different language pairs rather than just open. Perhaps you have found a version incompatibility? Saving the target can sometimes be an issue because of version differencves where you created the SDLXLIFF with a filetype that ls newer than the one on the other machine... but just opening for review should not be a problem.

To be honest I'm guessing because I hav
... See more
Hi Lukasz,

I would expect this to always work, unless you were trying to add it to an existing project with different language pairs rather than just open. Perhaps you have found a version incompatibility? Saving the target can sometimes be an issue because of version differencves where you created the SDLXLIFF with a filetype that ls newer than the one on the other machine... but just opening for review should not be a problem.

To be honest I'm guessing because I have not come across this myself. Can you open the SDLXLIFF on it's own yourself?

Regards

Paul
Collapse

T-tive
TOPIC STARTER
"Open for review" is not available, unless you have a project Jun 13, 2011

Hi Paul,

thanks for you answer! I checked again. And no, this is not a compatibility issue.
And we do the review usually on bilingual files, so we don't use "save target as" in this phase at all.

I could rephrase my problem like this:
"open for review" is available only from "Files View", which in turn is available ONLY if you have at least one project in the "Project view".

This means, that if you decide to open a single sdlxliff file, then by
... See more
Hi Paul,

thanks for you answer! I checked again. And no, this is not a compatibility issue.
And we do the review usually on bilingual files, so we don't use "save target as" in this phase at all.

I could rephrase my problem like this:
"open for review" is available only from "Files View", which in turn is available ONLY if you have at least one project in the "Project view".

This means, that if you decide to open a single sdlxliff file, then by default Studio will open it to editor view in translation mode, which means that "translation approved" icon (the magnifying glass icon with check-mark) is not visible in the task menu, and its shortcut (ctrl+enter) has a different meaning.
You can still access the status "translation approved", but only if you right-click on a given segment and then go to "change segment status / translation approved". But this is much slower than using a shortcut.

Generally, I think our problem could be easily solved, if, first of all, "open for review" option was available at all times, also for a single sdlxliff file.
And secondly if "translation approved" status had a different shortcut than "translated" status, because now they share the same shortcut "ctrl+enter"!

Looks like I will have to add this to the development ideas

Looking forward to your comments!

Lukasz

[Edited at 2011-06-13 13:00 GMT]
Collapse

EL-TRANSLATIONS
Greece
Yes, reviewing a single sdlxliff file is possible. Aug 24, 2011

Dear Lukasz,

You can open the sdlxliff file by double clicking on it, so it opens on Editor view, then just save it and close it. Then, if you go to your Files view, you'll see that single file. You can then right click on it and chose "open for review or open for sign-off".

If it does not appear on Files view, it will probably be on Projects view. Make sure you double click on it to activate, go to Files view and right click on it as I previously described.
... See more
Dear Lukasz,

You can open the sdlxliff file by double clicking on it, so it opens on Editor view, then just save it and close it. Then, if you go to your Files view, you'll see that single file. You can then right click on it and chose "open for review or open for sign-off".

If it does not appear on Files view, it will probably be on Projects view. Make sure you double click on it to activate, go to Files view and right click on it as I previously described.

We review single sdlxliff files all the time, you'll have no problem.

Best,
Eleni Zissi
Collapse

Maxim Gorodisky
Russian Federation
Local time: 10:17
English to Russian
+ ...
Is it possible to add a bilingual file to the existing project Nov 28, 2011

Dear colleagues,

I have a slightly different but similar problem. I have created a package and sent it to the translator. He could not create a return package (the files were not displayed in the list), so he sent an .sdlsliff file. I managed to add it to the project, but it cannot be viewed as part of the project before it is pre-translated and so on. Is there a way to add it and to work with it in this particular project?

Thank you!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Reviewing a single sdlxliff file without creating a project/package - is it possible?

Advanced search

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »
Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search