Multiterm: Can I add a new languageto an existing termbase?
Thread poster: Clara Gómez Pérez
Clara Gómez Pérez
Local time: 19:35
English to Spanish
+ ...
Jun 14, 2011

Hi everyone!

And yet another Multiterm question! We have a big termbase with different languages and we need to add a new language. The content for all languages is exactly the same, and I could create a new one with a new glossary including it, but then we'll loose all the information we've added to the termbase (comments, maybe new entries created by the translators and so on). Our glossary is in .xml format. Is there any way to import content using one of the languages as an index? I only see the option "synchronize on entry number", but I cannot imagine how this could help me.

Thank you in advance!

Clara

Direct link Reply with quote

RWSTranslation
Germany
Member (2007)
German to English
+ ...
Edit the termbase definition... Jun 16, 2011

Hi Clara,
If you just need to add a language in a termbase, you just have to edit the termbase definition and add the language in the second window.
It will be then possible to enter new terms for the new language in the existing entries.

But I'm not sure I have understood what you explained... why could you "loose all the information you added in the termbase" (I assume, in Multiterm)? If you export a whole termbase in an xml file, all the entries with attributes will be exported and you can then import the whole file in a new termbase. Nothing will be lost if you use the same termbase definition (+ new language!).

Questions:
do you have already a termbase for the extra language? if yes, is it a monolingual or a bilingual termbase?

Sébastien

Clara Gómez Pérez
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Sorry, I didn't explain the problem correctly... Jun 22, 2011

Hi Sébastien,

thank you for your answer! I know how to add a language, that's not a problem. The problem is how to add content for this language on a batch mode without creating duplicates. I'll try to explain our problem in detail:

We have a termbase with EN, ES, and FR. The terms included in it are the same for all languages, since we use an exported glossary to create this termbase. Now we have added a new language (IT), and I'd like to be able to import the Italian terms to the termbase by using EN (our source language) as an index. My objective: I'd like to be able to upload new languages to this existing termbase without creating duplicate entries in EN.

The second part of our problem: We are working on an update and the ES part is ready. I'd like to import the EN-ES exported glossary to the termbank and, when the other languages are ready, be able to import the other languages as well (EN-FR, EN-IT).

There must be a way to do it, I just cannot find out how!

Thank you for your time!

Clara

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
The file for the import must have exactly the same structure Jun 22, 2011

as the termbase.
Then you can create an import definition and synchronise the import via termbase entries in English. I think this is what you are looking for.

RWSTranslation
Germany
Member (2007)
German to English
+ ...
Synchronize Entries on Index Term Jun 22, 2011

Hello Clara,

I would use Jerzy's proposition in such a case. You have to create a new import model, set the option "synchronize entries on index term" in the window 4/8 of the wizard and select "english" as "index", "add import entry as new" and "merge entries" in window 6/8.

A risk is that multiterm merges entries which both contains a same word (homonyms). So you have to verify whether there are homonyms in your english database, and if so, check if the corresponding entries are exact in Multiterm after importing the other languages.

Sébastien

Clara Gómez Pérez
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks, it worked! Jun 22, 2011

Hi,

I've tried your suggestion and it worked, although I got some duplicated entries.

Thank you for your help!

Clara

Péter Tófalvi  Identity Verified
Hungary
English to Hungarian
+ ...
add new language Jun 16, 2013

DSC wrote:
If you just need to add a language in a termbase, you just have to edit the termbase definition and add the language in the second window.
Sébastien

Where can I do this?

Bernard Lieber  Identity Verified
English to French
+ ...
Catalog View Jun 16, 2013

Hi Peter,

Open your termbase, switch to Catalog View in the tree structure, right-click on Definition -> Edit and follow the instructions.

HTH,

Bernard

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Multiterm: Can I add a new languageto an existing termbase?

Advanced search

WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »
PDF Translation - the Easy Way
TransPDF converts your PDFs to XLIFF ready for professional translation.

TransPDF converts your PDFs to XLIFF ready for professional translation. It also puts your translations back into the PDF to make new PDFs. Quicker and more accurate than hand-editing PDF. Includes free use of Infix PDF Editor with your translated PDFs.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search