WinAlign: possible to make a TM from tables?
Thread poster: Ellis Jongsma

Ellis Jongsma  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 16:55
Member (2006)
English to Dutch
Jun 14, 2011

I have a table in Word (.doc) and it consists of a column in English and a column in Dutch. Is it possible to run it through Trados and end up with a TM? If so, could someone please tell me how? Or is it only possible to make TM's from separate English files and Dutch files (so English.doc and Dutch.doc)?

Hazel Underwood  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 15:55
Member (2005)
German to English
+ ...
Create a separate file Jun 14, 2011

I don't know any way of doing this, but it would be quite simple to cut and paste one of the columns into a new Word doc and aligning the files with Winalign or similar.

Maybe someone else has an idea?

Hazel

Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Dutch
TOPIC STARTER
Separate files Jun 14, 2011

Yes, of course, it's an idea to make separate files of the tables. Except I have about 50 tables, and it would take me a lot of time to copy/paste them. I thought perhaps there is an option in Trados which makes my dream come true

esperantisto  Identity Verified
Local time: 17:55
Member (2006)
English to Russian
+ ...
PlusTools Jun 14, 2011

PlusTools works exactly by first creating a table with source and translation segments in each row and then by making a text file in Wordfast format. So, if you have such a table ready you’ll only need to create the resulting file, convert it to TMX (using Wordfast, wf2tmx or Anaphraseus) and import it to Trados.

Franz Bissinger  Identity Verified
Germany
Try this Jun 14, 2011

Hi Ellis,

I'm sure there are several conversion tools you can download for free and use for that kind of data conversion, however, you can also run some search and replace runs in MS Word for creating a TMX file you can import in your TM tool. These are the steps you have to follow:

1. In Word insert an empty line above the table and then convert the table to tab separated text (see Word's online help)

2. Open the Search and Replace dialog and enter "^p" in
... See more
Hi Ellis,

I'm sure there are several conversion tools you can download for free and use for that kind of data conversion, however, you can also run some search and replace runs in MS Word for creating a TMX file you can import in your TM tool. These are the steps you have to follow:

1. In Word insert an empty line above the table and then convert the table to tab separated text (see Word's online help)

2. Open the Search and Replace dialog and enter "^p" in the Search for text box.

3. Enter the following sequence in the Replace text box:
</seg>^p</tuv>^p</tu>^p<tu creationid="YOUR_ID">^p<tuv xml:lang="EN-US">^p<seg>

Note: "^p" is the placeholder for a line break.

4. Click OK.

5. Open again the Search and Replace dialog and enter "^t" in the Search for text box.

6. Enter the following sequence in the Replace text box:
</seg>^p</tuv>^p<tuv xml:lang="NL">^p<seg>

Note: "^t" is the placeholder for a tabulator.

7. Click OK.

8. At the top of the Word document delete all lines above the first occurrence of "<tu creationid="YOUR_ID">".

9. At the end of the document delete all lines below the last occurrence of "</tu>".

10. At the beginning of the document insert the following lines:

<?xml version="1.0" ?>
<!DOCTYPE tmx SYSTEM "tmx14.dtd">
<tmx version="1.4">
<header
creationtool="Selfmade TM"
creationtoolversion="version 1"
segtype="sentence"
adminlang="EN-US"
srclang="EN-US"
datatype="txt"
creationid="Self"
>
</header>

<body>

11. At the end of the document enter the following two lines:
</body>
</tmx>

12. Save the document as plain text file with the file extension .tmx and select Unicode as character encoding.

13. Open the resulting TMX file in a plain text editor and make sure that all quotation marks are ANSI quotation marks (not typographic ones).

Cheers
Franz
Collapse

FarkasAndras  Identity Verified
English to Hungarian
+ ...
The real solution Jun 14, 2011

The hack proposed by Franz is a reasonable stab at a solution, but why use hacks when there are proper solutions for the problem? The proper solution is a TMX maker that generates a TMX based on your table, avoiding the horrible mess that would be result from feeding the text to an aligner such as WinAlign.
For reference, here's my article on some TMX makers.

I'm not sure how you
... See more
The hack proposed by Franz is a reasonable stab at a solution, but why use hacks when there are proper solutions for the problem? The proper solution is a TMX maker that generates a TMX based on your table, avoiding the horrible mess that would be result from feeding the text to an aligner such as WinAlign.
For reference, here's my article on some TMX makers.

I'm not sure how you could batch process all your tables... if they are in separate files, it's probably not going to happen -- at least not easily. If they are in the same .doc, you might be able to just copy-paste the whole file to Excel or a text editor.
Collapse

István Hirsch  Identity Verified
English to Hungarian
Join the tables Jun 14, 2011

I think there are not empty cells in the tables, that is, there is not any source or target text missing. (check this).
Then you can join the tables before aligning.
„Select All” in Word and copy/paste the file (all the tables) into an empty Excel spreadsheet from cell A1 – now you have source text in column A, and target text in column B, with empty lines between the tables.
Select column A, press F5, click on Special and select Blank, then OK. Empty lines will be select
... See more
I think there are not empty cells in the tables, that is, there is not any source or target text missing. (check this).
Then you can join the tables before aligning.
„Select All” in Word and copy/paste the file (all the tables) into an empty Excel spreadsheet from cell A1 – now you have source text in column A, and target text in column B, with empty lines between the tables.
Select column A, press F5, click on Special and select Blank, then OK. Empty lines will be selected. Delete them. Copy/paste the two columns into Word and align.

If you do not want to use an aligner, there is a workaround to achieve the goal.

This works if each line of the table is in accordance with the segmentation rules you are going to use during translating, that is, each line of the table makes one later „segment" (for example, no cell has more than one sentence etc.)

You have the table with to columns: now create from it a table with 5 columns, where:

1st column: {0>
2nd column: lines of source text
3rd column: <}100{>
4th column: lines of target text
5th column: <0}

Convert this table to text choosing tabulator as the separator, then replace tabulators in the text with nothing. You should get lines like this:

{0>sourcesegment1<}100{>targetsegment1<0}
{0>sourcesegment2<}100{>targetsegment2<0}
etc.

Save the file, open a new (empty) tm in Translator Workbench and clean the file selecting the „Update TM” radiobutton.

[Módosítva: 2011-06-15 05:08 GMT]
Collapse

Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Dutch
TOPIC STARTER
A different solution, but a solution it is! Jun 14, 2011

I'm not too keen on trying hacks, because there are so many risks for messing them up. (And I tend to mess those up .)

I also don't really understand how I can get PlusTools to work. The problem is also that the tables consists of a few sentences each time, instead of just one term or sentence per cell.

So this evening I thought to myself: why not try and search for a solution in MS Word? And yes, it poss
... See more
I'm not too keen on trying hacks, because there are so many risks for messing them up. (And I tend to mess those up .)

I also don't really understand how I can get PlusTools to work. The problem is also that the tables consists of a few sentences each time, instead of just one term or sentence per cell.

So this evening I thought to myself: why not try and search for a solution in MS Word? And yes, it possible to convert text in tables to just text! It still means copying and pasting all those texts in new files though. And there are actually over 200 files that I want to include in the TM...
Collapse

FarkasAndras  Identity Verified
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Batch processing Jun 14, 2011

Ellis Jongsma wrote:

there are actually over 200 files that I want to include in the TM...

For that many files, you should try to use batch processing.
Plustools does batch doc->txt, which mostly works... some of the time. If it works out for you and you have your 200 tab delimited files, you can then:
- Use the LF Aligner TMX maker (it can process the 200 files in one go). The multi-sentence cells will become multi-sentence TUs.
- Merge the files, then separate column 1 from column 2 and align with your aligner of choice. The quickest way to merge them is to open a command prompt, navigate to the directory where the txts are and type
copy *.txt all.txt
Then you can try to use Excel or OOo to separate the columns.

István Hirsch  Identity Verified
English to Hungarian
I am sorry Jun 15, 2011

I realize now that my earlier post did not appear in the correct form. Corrected.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

WinAlign: possible to make a TM from tables?

Advanced search

SDL Trados Studio 2019 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2019 has evolved to bring translators a brand new experience. Designed with user experience at its core, Studio 2019 transforms how new users get up and running, helps experienced users make the most of the powerful features.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search