Idiom TMs grow to monstrous sizes up to 800 MB as soon as I try to send .wpz via email
Thread poster: Nicole Schnell

Nicole Schnell  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 02:55
English to German
+ ...
Jun 22, 2011

Dear colleagues,

since I migrated Idiom 9.01 to my Windows 7/ 64 Bit laptop, I am not able to send .wpz files to my client any longer because they reach "unsendable" sizes, even for 10k word translations. I am not doing anything differently than what I did on my 32 Bit, WindowsXP Laptop.

Now, freshly started TMs that contain the information of 10.000 to 25.000 words are bloating up to insane sizes as soon as I try to deliver as .wpz.

There is no such thing that the TMs have been added accidentally to pre-existing and huge TMs. I did not transfer anything to the new machine.

Is this an E-Mail issue? I used Outlook Express on my old laptop, I am using Mozilla Thunderbird on the new one.

How is this possible?

Thank you so much in advance!

Direct link Reply with quote

Alejandro Garcia-Quismondo Cartes  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 11:55
Member (2010)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Try removing Tms from translation package before delivery Jun 22, 2011

Hi Nicole,

I use Idiom 9.0.1.60 on a regular basis and, in the last projects that I have completed recently, I have been advised to remove Tms and TDs from translation package before exporting and delivering it.

To do so, go to Project > Configuration. In Project Properties dialog, Database (tree on left margin), use Remove buttons for both TM and TD. Then try exporting as usual. The size should be substantially reduced.

I hope that it helps.

Best

Alejandro

Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Nicole Jun 22, 2011

Nicole Schnell wrote:
since I migrated Idiom 9.01 to my Windows 7/ 64 Bit laptop, I am not able to send .wpz files to my client any longer because they reach "unsendable" sizes, even for 10k word translations.

When you unzip the WPZ file, which file inside it is the big one?

Are you sure you're not including all of your previous TMs into the WPZ file? One way to check this is to go to your Idiom projects folder (in your user documents folder?) and temporarily move all projects out of it (except for the project that you want to export), and then open Idiom again and doing the export again, to see if the file size is still massive.

Do you also get huge files if you export XLZ files instead of WPZ files? I'm just asking, for the sake of testing, but I realise that clients who want WPZ files can't do anything with XLZ files.

United States
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Here is what I do as a quick fix: Jun 22, 2011

I export the files as .xls instead. Which is unfortunate and extra work for my editors and my client who have to add my translation manually to the Translation Memory.

What I observed - and this is really weird:

The TM behaves normally. At first. I work on it, I export it, I close it, I open it the next morning, close and open it again, everything is fine. The TM claims to be a few kb in my document folder. Until I try to send it. Once I tried to send a file, it apparently grows like a mushroom, delivery is not possible in regular .wpz format, and from this moment on a 10k to 30k file takes a full minute to load.

I have been exchanging .wpz files with my client and colleagues for years. I don't know what happened.

United States
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
@Samuel Jun 22, 2011

Samuel Murray wrote:

You mean, what I am trying to send? The culprit seems to be the .wstm that grows to enormous size and apparently wants to be included. But that's just a guess - I am not very good with this stuff. Not sure what you mean with "unzip", I have always sent everything as is. Even monstrous manuals.

Are you sure you're not including all of your previous TMs into the WPZ file?

Positive. New computer, new jobs. I started new TMs for each of the new jobs.

Do you also get huge files if you export XLZ files instead of WPZ files?

No. That's the only way to deliver files from now on. For nearly 5 years I have delivered .wpz, as I was supposed to, and I never had any problems even with the largest manuals.

United States
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks, Alejandro! Jun 22, 2011

Alejandro Garcia-Quismondo Cartes wrote:

Hi Nicole,

I use Idiom 9.0.1.60 on a regular basis and, in the last projects that I have completed recently, I have been advised to remove Tms and TDs from translation package before exporting and delivering it.

To do so, go to Project > Configuration. In Project Properties dialog, Database (tree on left margin), use Remove buttons for both TM and TD. Then try exporting as usual. The size should be substantially reduced.

I hope that it helps.

Best

Alejandro

This sounds good and I will try that. The reason why you were asked to remove TMs and TDs - were you or your client experiencing a similar problem?

Best,

Nicole

Alejandro Garcia-Quismondo Cartes  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2010)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Reduce size of delivery packages Jun 23, 2011

The reason to start removing TMs and TDs from delivery packages is that we use very large databases for projects which are divided in several modules. There is no need to include this info in the translated package as client will update DBs with translated content, but does not need duplicated TMs and TDs with a content they already have.

After removing TMs and TDs, delivery packages is reduced up to a 10th of the previous size, so it is much easier to exchange them.

Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Nicole Jun 23, 2011

Nicole Schnell wrote:
Samuel Murray wrote:

Not sure what you mean with "unzip"...

Rename something.wpz to something.zip, and then use an unzipping program to unzip it. A .wpz file is nothing more than a zip file with a weird file extension.

Idiom TMs grow to monstrous sizes up to 800 MB as soon as I try to send .wpz via email.

Let me see if I understand correctly: the WPZ file is the correct, small size all the way through the translation project, but as soon as you attach it to an e-mail, it becomes very, very large. Is that right? Or if not, at which point does it become large?

Does it also become large if you rename it from something.wpz to something_wpz and send it?

You say "800 MB" is large, but what would the normal size of that TM have been?

What e-mail program are you using?

United States
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
The solution! Jul 8, 2011

Firstly I would like to apologize that it took so long to reply - I was booked up to my eyeballs.

Samuel Murray wrote:
Let me see if I understand correctly: the WPZ file is the correct, small size all the way through the translation project, but as soon as you attach it to an e-mail, it becomes very, very large. Is that right? Or if not, at which point does it become large?

At the very moment I tried to attach it to an email. A 200something k file turned into several hundred MB and from then on displayed this size on my hard disk as well.

What e-mail program are you using?

Mozilla Thunderbird.

And here is what I did:

I ran RegistryBooster. This neat little tool fixed several hundreds registry errors and life is back to normal.
Don't ask me what it actually does - I know my software, but I am at a loss when it comes to hardware or operation systems.

However, it worked somehow, and I can send files again. The TMs that I ruined are still oversized, though. New jobs work fine, though, and my client has proper copies of my old ones.

Thank you all so much, Alejandro and Samuel!!

My very best regards,

Nicole

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Idiom TMs grow to monstrous sizes up to 800 MB as soon as I try to send .wpz via email

Advanced search

SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »
BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search