https://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/201698-urgenthow_can_i_run_2_different_versions_of_trados_on_the_same_laptop.html

Urgent...How can I run 2 different versions of Trados on the same laptop?
Thread poster: Valerie Marzac
Valerie Marzac
Valerie Marzac  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 03:35
English to French
+ ...
Jun 23, 2011

Dear all,

I have 2 versions of Trados. 1 is Trados 6 via a dongle.
The other is server-based SDL Trados 2007 (&2009) via one of the companies I work with.

I need to keep both versions and use them both in turn for several reasons, one of them being that I cannot use server-based SDL Trados 2007 without an Internet connexion and I need to be able to access Trados even if I can't get online. Also my personal work I don't want to be doing via that company server-base
... See more
Dear all,

I have 2 versions of Trados. 1 is Trados 6 via a dongle.
The other is server-based SDL Trados 2007 (&2009) via one of the companies I work with.

I need to keep both versions and use them both in turn for several reasons, one of them being that I cannot use server-based SDL Trados 2007 without an Internet connexion and I need to be able to access Trados even if I can't get online. Also my personal work I don't want to be doing via that company server-based SDL Trados.

I tried the following trick in Word 2003, i.e., Tools/Templates and add-ins, then disabling the version I don't want to use right now. I set my Macro security level to medium. This is supposed to work according to this site:
http://capitalhead.com/articles/using--installing-multiple-versions-of-trados-on-the-same-computer.aspx

Any tips are welcome, thank you! For the time being only Trados 6 is working. When I get the SDL Trados tool bar on its own, it tells me that SDL Trados isn't running.

Thank you for your help, it's really urgent on my end, I must sort this out now.

Kind regards

Val

[Edited at 2011-06-23 12:06 GMT]

[Edited at 2011-06-23 12:12 GMT]

[Edited at 2011-06-23 12:20 GMT]
Collapse

Adam Łobatiuk
Adam Łobatiuk  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2009)
English to Polish
+ ...
Maybe this will help Jun 23, 2011

I'm not sure what the server-based Trados is, but normally you can switch between Trados versions using the batch script available in C:\Program Files\SDL International\\TT\SelfRegister.bat. It is also available from the Start > Programs menu under the Trados subfolder for the particular versions. It is called Register SDL Trados 2007 for example.

Valerie Marzac
France
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Register SDL Trados 2007 solves the problem, I believe! Jun 23, 2011

Adam Łobatiuk wrote:

I'm not sure what the server-based Trados is, but normally you can switch between Trados versions using the batch script available in C:\Program Files\SDL International\\TT\SelfRegister.bat. It is also available from the Start > Programs menu under the Trados subfolder for the particular versions. It is called Register SDL Trados 2007 for example.

YOU are just GREAT!!! Thank you so much! I have both tool bars under Word now and each of them works with both Trados 6 and SDL Trados for the time being. (I prefer to be cautious with Trados!). All I did was to find the Register SDL Trados 2007 file, it gave me an error message and then fixed itself!
WOW! THANK YOU!!! I'm sorry I can't even say thank you in Polish though I have Polish blood but I mean a really BIG THANK YOU!!!

Adam Łobatiuk
Adam Łobatiuk  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2009)
English to Polish
+ ...
Glad I could help! Jun 23, 2011

Good luck, Valerie!

Valerie Marzac
France
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Trados 6 has stopped working! Jun 23, 2011

Adam Łobatiuk wrote:

Good luck, Valerie!

Adam, I'm so sorry. Now Trados 6 isn't working. When I click on the tool bar it tells me SDL Trados Workbench isn't running. It shouldn't say this for Trados 6. Now only the server-based SDL Trados 2007 works and I absolutely need Trados 6 to be able to work offline. I don't know why it stopped working, I didn't change any settings, in fact I was away from my computer.
Also I now have the Trados menu about 7 times on Word.
Please help!

[Edited at 2011-06-23 20:11 GMT]

Stanislav Pokorny
Stanislav Pokorny  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
Keep it simple Jun 23, 2011

Hello Valerie,
to keep it as simple as possible: buy a second computer and keep those two Trados version separated from each other. Or perhaps you could try running one of the two installations on a virtual machine?

Valerie Marzac
France
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Windows Virtual PC doesn't run on Windows 7 Home Premium Jun 23, 2011

Stanislav Pokorny wrote:

Hello Valerie,
to keep it as simple as possible: buy a second computer and keep those two Trados version separated from each other. Or perhaps you could try running one of the two installations on a virtual machine?

Hello Stanislav,

I can't use Windows Virtual PC, I'm on the Premium Home edition. If I upgrade to Professional, I'm concerned I'll lose my data on top of having to pay extra... I can't use 2 computers either because I need to use Trados 6 when I'm on the go and it would be difficult to carry 2 laptops everywhere. I'm sure there is a way to have both versions on 1 laptop since it worked a little while this way for me earlier. I just wish I knew why it stops working and how to get it back to how it was. At this point I may need to cancel the server-based version in order to keep Trados 6 which is much more useful to me since I can use it while being offline but if I do this, the company which requires me to use the server-based SDL Trados 2007 is not going to be very happy. I'll keep trying, hoping someone will come up with a solution, I cannot be the only one in this 'mess'! If I find a way myself, I'll post it here though I hardly know what I'm doing right now! Thank you all the same, it's very kind of you!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Urgent...How can I run 2 different versions of Trados on the same laptop?

Translation news related to SDL Trados

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »