https://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/201740-when_tm_is_applied_to_a_document_accented_characters_appear_corrupted.html

When TM is applied to a document, accented characters appear corrupted
Thread poster: Nora Diaz

Nora Diaz  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 19:11
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Jun 23, 2011

In Trados 2007, Word 2007, Windows 7, when using the Workbench "Translate" command to apply a TM to a document, most Spanish accented and special characters appear corrupted or the accented letters are missing entirely. I know this can happen due to formatting problems within Word, but it happens even when I apply the TM to the original document that was used to create the translation. An example of what I mean is that the word "tamaño" appears as "tama?". The font used in the document is Arial... See more
In Trados 2007, Word 2007, Windows 7, when using the Workbench "Translate" command to apply a TM to a document, most Spanish accented and special characters appear corrupted or the accented letters are missing entirely. I know this can happen due to formatting problems within Word, but it happens even when I apply the TM to the original document that was used to create the translation. An example of what I mean is that the word "tamaño" appears as "tama?". The font used in the document is Arial, nothing special.Collapse

Nicolas Coyer (X)  Identity Verified
Colombia
Local time: 20:11
Spanish to French
+ ...
same for French Jun 23, 2011

Hola Nora,

I've had the same issue for French, and I am sorry to be the bearer of bad news but there is no easy fix for this issue AFAIK.
The problem is in the TM because it keeps font and other style info. One of my clients had to fix their TM, but I still find corrupted characters once in a while.
If your TM is not that big, you could try and "clean" it manually.
I found out the special characters were sometimes surrounded by {\f tags. You might try and remove so
... See more
Hola Nora,

I've had the same issue for French, and I am sorry to be the bearer of bad news but there is no easy fix for this issue AFAIK.
The problem is in the TM because it keeps font and other style info. One of my clients had to fix their TM, but I still find corrupted characters once in a while.
If your TM is not that big, you could try and "clean" it manually.
I found out the special characters were sometimes surrounded by {\f tags. You might try and remove some of those. Make a copy of you export TM to play with it and see if you can fix it.
Keep in mind that if WB gives you a match and you fix it in Word and close the segment and click Set/Close (hence save it in the TM), the corrupted characters will still be there, even if you thought you had fixed it.
I'll go through my files and emails and see if I can gather more info for you.

Good luck!
Nicolas

[Edited at 2011-06-23 22:35 GMT]
Collapse

Colombia
Spanish to French
+ ...
Here is partial solution from SDL Jun 23, 2011

http://kb.sdl.com/display/2/index.aspx?c=&cpc=&cid=&t=&r=0.763500332832336

Nora Diaz  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 19:11
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Link? Jun 24, 2011

Thank you Nicolas, you've confirmed what I was fearing. The TM is huge, and actually has lots of font info.

I tried the link but it takes me to a search box in the SDL portal. Do you have the knowledgebase article number so I can go looking exactly for it?

Thanks again,

Nora

Colombia
Spanish to French
+ ...
article ref Jun 24, 2011

Hi Nora,

Sorry about that. Look for article 2088 in the KB.

Good luck,
Nicolas

Nora Diaz wrote:

Thank you Nicolas, you've confirmed what I was fearing. The TM is huge, and actually has lots of font info.

I tried the link but it takes me to a search box in the SDL portal. Do you have the knowledgebase article number so I can go looking exactly for it?

Thanks again,

Nora

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

When TM is applied to a document, accented characters appear corrupted

Advanced search

Translation news related to SDL Trados

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
SDL Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within SDL Trados Studio

SDL Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »