Thread poster: Elvira Stoianov
Elvira Stoianov
Elvira Stoianov  Identity Verified
Luxembourg
Local time: 20:53
German to Romanian
+ ...
Apr 8, 2004

I have a document that is about 70 pages long and I could translate most segments, but I have some segments at the beginning which I can't open. Has anyone seen this error? What can I do to open those segments?

If I am writing, I will add another question.
I have tried to update the table of contents on an uncleaned document and the original formatting was lost. Is this normal in Trados? If not, what can I do to keep the original formatting of the table of contents?

Joanne Parker
Joanne Parker  Identity Verified
Local time: 19:53
Member (2002)
German to English
+ ...
Add a paragraph mark Apr 8, 2004

Hi Elvira,

It just means that Word can't find a paragraph mark to indicate the end of the paragraph. All you need to do is add a paragraph mark at the end of the offending segment.

To do this, either hit enter, or else choose Insert -> Symbol and then enter what is known as a Pilcrow sign - it looks like a backwards P.

If you show/hide the formatting marks in your document, that should make things clearer.

HTH,

Joanne

[Edit
... See more
Hi Elvira,

It just means that Word can't find a paragraph mark to indicate the end of the paragraph. All you need to do is add a paragraph mark at the end of the offending segment.

To do this, either hit enter, or else choose Insert -> Symbol and then enter what is known as a Pilcrow sign - it looks like a backwards P.

If you show/hide the formatting marks in your document, that should make things clearer.

HTH,

Joanne

[Edited at 2004-04-08 12:15]
Collapse

Joanne Parker
Joanne Parker  Identity Verified
Local time: 19:53
Member (2002)
German to English
+ ...
Formatting Apr 8, 2004

Elvira Stoianov wrote:

If I am writing, I will add another question.
I have tried to update the table of contents on an uncleaned document and the original formatting was lost. Is this normal in Trados? If not, what can I do to keep the original formatting of the table of contents?

Trados 6 has a bookmark handler that is supposed to help with this, but I haven't tried it yet. Search for "bookmark handler" in the forums, there's a post in there that explains how the handler works.

Good luck!

Joanne

Marijke Singer
Marijke Singer  Identity Verified
Spain
Dutch to English
+ ...
Apr 8, 2004

[Edited at 2004-06-13 15:23]

Elvira Stoianov
Luxembourg
German to Romanian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I have found the problem in one place Apr 8, 2004

In the first case, I have tried to display hidden marks. The problem is that I have the heading "Table of figure" followed by a list of figures which is updateable. Now the problem seems to be that when I click before the word "Table of Figures" and press Shift + End, the selection goes directly 5 rows down, after the list of figures (i.e. somehow the list of figures starts before the parapgraph mark after Table of Figures. If I try to hit Enter, the result is that that list of figures under "Ta... See more
In the first case, I have tried to display hidden marks. The problem is that I have the heading "Table of figure" followed by a list of figures which is updateable. Now the problem seems to be that when I click before the word "Table of Figures" and press Shift + End, the selection goes directly 5 rows down, after the list of figures (i.e. somehow the list of figures starts before the parapgraph mark after Table of Figures. If I try to hit Enter, the result is that that list of figures under "Table of Figures" jumps to the next page (even though it is only 5 lines).
Unfortunately I have to leave now, but I'll look into the problem when I get back.
Collapse

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
ToC Apr 8, 2004

Hallo Eli,

Don't update the ToC until you have cleaned up the document. If they use a very elaborate ToC format, and you don't have the proper .dot file, you might still have some formatting problems, but that's a Word issue.

HTH, Ralf

Marijke Singer
Marijke Singer  Identity Verified
Spain
Dutch to English
+ ...
Apr 8, 2004

[Edited at 2004-06-13 15:24]

Hynek Palatin
Hynek Palatin  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Member (2003)
English to Czech
+ ...
TOC Apr 8, 2004

Elvira Stoianov wrote:

I am not sure if this is what really happened, but it's possible that the TOC has been formatted manually and not using the styles. Such manual formatting will be lost after updating the TOC, because Word will use the TOC styles again. And this has nothing to do with Trados. If you want to preserve the formatting, change the styles.

Elvira Stoianov
Luxembourg
German to Romanian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks for the input Apr 8, 2004

The problem is I have to deliver uncleaned files, because they will be proofread by a second person and I was trying to bring the file to a final format.

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Forget the ToC, then... Apr 8, 2004

...if your customer wants uncleaned files, they will need to update the ToC themselves. Given proper formatting, all it takes is to highlight the ToC and hit F9.

Cheers, Ralf

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trados 6.5 - error 33353 - end of paragraph not found

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »