how to edit inx.ttx.sdlxliff files with Trados?
Thread poster: Emtrans CN

Emtrans CN  Identity Verified
China
English to Chinese
+ ...
Jun 25, 2011

Hi everyone, I am having a problem with a project that requires me to use Trados for editing .ttx files and would appreciate it greatly if anyone could help with this.

The files I received from the client are "inx.ttx.sdlxliff" files which I think are converted via InDesign, so they only contain the target language but no source language. I also received a TM from the client who required me to edit this "inx.ttx.sdlxliff" files and update the TM accordingly with Trados.

... See more
Hi everyone, I am having a problem with a project that requires me to use Trados for editing .ttx files and would appreciate it greatly if anyone could help with this.

The files I received from the client are "inx.ttx.sdlxliff" files which I think are converted via InDesign, so they only contain the target language but no source language. I also received a TM from the client who required me to edit this "inx.ttx.sdlxliff" files and update the TM accordingly with Trados.

Problem: when I opened the "inx.ttx.sdlxliff" files in TagEditor, I could not edit the target language with no source language.

Question: Am I supposed to edit these "inx.ttx.sdlxliff" files with TagEditor? If so, what procedures should I take to make it work? (Since I have to update the TM, I think I have to use Trados for this job)

I have only edited .ttx files with TagEditor but not "inx.ttx.sdlxliff" files so this is quite a puzzle. Thank you very much in advance for your time and help!
Collapse

Jacques DP  Identity Verified
Switzerland
Local time: 16:34
Member (2003)
English to French
Studio file format Jun 25, 2011

Actually this is the bilingual file format of Studio, also known as SDL Trados 2009. Tageditor doesn't know about these. An inx.ttx.sdlxliff file is actually an InDesign file which was turned into TTX with TagEditor (SDL Trados 2007) and then imported in Studio. If you only have SDL Trados 2007, you should ask your client for the original TTX.

Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 16:34
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Emtrans Jun 25, 2011

Emtrans CN wrote:
I [have] a project that requires me to use Trados for editing .ttx files...

Who requires it? Does the client require it? Or do you just think by yourself that it requires it?

If it is the client who requires you to "use Trados for editing TTX files", when... does the client require "Trados" or does the client require you to create (or edit) "TTX" files? I'm asking this because there is more to Trados than just TTX and TagEditor.

The files I received from the client are "inx.ttx.sdlxliff" files...

Those files are not TTX files and they can't be translated in TagEditor (unless I'm mistaken). If the client wants you to deliver TTX files, then he should convert the SDLXLIFF file into a TTX file for you. If he says he can't or doesn't know how, well, you don't know how either

I also received a TM from the client who required me to edit this "inx.ttx.sdlxliff" files and update the TM accordingly with Trados.

If the client had asked you to edit the SDLXLIFF file and use the TM, then he probably wants you to use Trados 2009, not Trados 2007 (i.e. not TagEditor). Do you have Trados 2009?

Emtrans CN  Identity Verified
China
English to Chinese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks, Jacques and Sam! Jun 25, 2011

Thank you for your reply!

This explains it all - they did require me to use Trados to edit .ttx files and update the TM, but I think there was a misunderstanding that they thought I was using Trados 2009 while I only have 2007. So I will ask them to send me the original .ttx files as you suggested. Thank you very much!

Have a great weekend!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

how to edit inx.ttx.sdlxliff files with Trados?

Advanced search

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »
Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search