Can I automatically insert placeables into target in WB?
Thread poster: Susanne Lomander

Susanne Lomander  Identity Verified
Sweden
Local time: 20:12
Swedish to English
+ ...
Jun 25, 2011

Sorry about the (probably innane) question, but I am translating an extensive register containing phrases and then always a number at the end of the phrase, which refers to tha page number. Right now WB is forcing me to MANUALLy insert the "placeable" (page number) using Ctrl+Alt+->. But there must be a way to tell Trados to automatically ALWAYS insert placeables in the same location as in the source?

Why don't I remember where that setting is? Can anyone help?

I am usi
... See more
Sorry about the (probably innane) question, but I am translating an extensive register containing phrases and then always a number at the end of the phrase, which refers to tha page number. Right now WB is forcing me to MANUALLy insert the "placeable" (page number) using Ctrl+Alt+->. But there must be a way to tell Trados to automatically ALWAYS insert placeables in the same location as in the source?

I am using Workbench 8.2.0.835 Build 835.

TIA
Susanne
Collapse

Nicolas Coyer (X)  Identity Verified
Colombia
Local time: 13:12
Spanish to French
+ ...
2 solutions Jun 25, 2011

If you want to have the tag in the same place as the source when you're finished typing your segment then you have to do it manually as there is no CAT tool that can detect the correct location in the target segment.
The other option would be to copy the source automatically (select menu Options --which opens Translation Memory Options-- and Copy source on no match--4th option under Switches) and then overwrite what's been copied.

HTH
Nicolas

Susanne Lomander wrote:

I am using Workbench 8.2.0.835 Build 835.

TIA
Susanne

Sweden
Swedish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I thought there was a better option... :) Jun 26, 2011

Thanks, Nicholas!

That's exactly what I have been doing, manually inserting the placeabe at the end of the sentence or copying the source and overwriting, which isn't that great since many of the phrases exist partially in the TM, so it would have been much easier if Trados could automatically insert the placeable at the end of the fuzzy sentence by default.

I would have thought this was a commonly recurring situation, where you have things like page numbers, parentheti
... See more
Thanks, Nicholas!

That's exactly what I have been doing, manually inserting the placeabe at the end of the sentence or copying the source and overwriting, which isn't that great since many of the phrases exist partially in the TM, so it would have been much easier if Trados could automatically insert the placeable at the end of the fuzzy sentence by default.

I would have thought this was a commonly recurring situation, where you have things like page numbers, parenthetical information or other recurring placeables that would be great not to have to manually insert!

There should be an check box setting that allows you to tell the CAT tool to automatically insert placeables in the same location as in the source text, because in many cases they end up being there (or thereabouts) in the target text as well. That's what I am looking for, a way to tell Trados that WHEN I CHECK THIS OPTION, please insert the placeable in the location of my choice (as per source text, at the beginning of the TU, at the end of the TU etc.).

Funny that it doesn't exist - or has it been created in other programs/future versions?
Collapse

Astrid Elke Witte  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2002)
German to English
+ ...
If you have any ideas, please let SDL know Jun 26, 2011

Hi Susanne,

You are lucky if that would work in your language pair. It certainly would not work between German and English.

If you have any ideas that you would like to see included in future editions of the software, you can submit them through the channel set up for that purpose. You will find information on that here:

http://ideas.sdl.com/faq.asp

Once yo
... See more
Hi Susanne,

You are lucky if that would work in your language pair. It certainly would not work between German and English.

If you have any ideas that you would like to see included in future editions of the software, you can submit them through the channel set up for that purpose. You will find information on that here:

http://ideas.sdl.com/faq.asp

Once you submit an idea to this forum, other people can vote for it, and the ideas with the highest number of votes will obviously be given priority.

Astrid
Collapse

Sweden
Swedish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Idea submitted - cross your fingers! Jun 26, 2011

Thanks, Astrid!

I know this isn't always the case in many sentences, nor is it standard in my language pairs, even though Swedish and English often have very similar sentence structures. My point is that we don't always translate running text, and that ALWAYS having to manually bring the placeables into position seems to be unnecessarily time-consuming and labour-intensive.

If you are able to choose a setting (and there should be several options) for a particularly repe
... See more
Thanks, Astrid!

I know this isn't always the case in many sentences, nor is it standard in my language pairs, even though Swedish and English often have very similar sentence structures. My point is that we don't always translate running text, and that ALWAYS having to manually bring the placeables into position seems to be unnecessarily time-consuming and labour-intensive.

If you are able to choose a setting (and there should be several options) for a particularly repetitive job, let's say translating registers or indices, like in my example, then Trados would automatically input this where you most often want it in your target, and you can easily skip around it if you are manually entering text. That would be one key-stroke instead of two (not to mention the blank spaces).

At least to me, having this option would make sense. So I suggested the idea, as you said. Let's see what happens!

Susanne
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Can I automatically insert placeables into target in WB?

Advanced search

BaccS – an SDL product
Modern translation business management for freelancers and agencies

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »
Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search