Elisa Farina  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 23:21
Member (2009)
Spanish to Italian
+ ...
Jun 28, 2011

Dear colleagues,

I'm facing a problem that is driving me mad. I work with Windows Vista, MS Office 2007 and SDL Trados 2007.

When I open a file in TagEditor (no matter the extension of the file, it can be .doc or any other format), the ABC botton of the Spell Check function is disactivated and there is no way a can run the spell check.

Do you have any idea about the reason and a possible solution?

Thank you very much in advance for your help.

Elisa

Direct link Reply with quote

Maxim Manzhosin  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 00:21
Member (2008)
English to Russian
Plug-in deactivated? Jun 28, 2011

Hi Elisa,

In TagEditor, go to Tools > Plug-ins and make sure a spelling checker plug-in is selected.

HTH

Spain
Member (2009)
Spanish to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
It worked! But not completely fine. Jun 28, 2011

Dear Maxim,

thank you so much!! I activated a spelling checker plug-in and the ABC button started to work! Thank you!!!

Still, a new problem has popped up.

In Tools > Plug-ins... I can chose among: WinterTree Spelling Checker, Microsoft Word Spelling Checker 2.0, Word Spelling Checker.

First, I've selected Word Spelling Checker and this is what happens: for every new word that the program recognizes as a mistake, it shows the following message (in Italian): Impossible to find the correction tools for (and a strange symbol which, I guess, should represent the word in question). Then, the correction window appears (with all the classical buttons: Change, Change All, Ignore, etc.). And as a matter of fact the program doesn't suggest an alternative.
I guess this means that the program is not using the vocabulary of Word.

Then, I've selected Microsoft Word Spelling Checker. In this case, the program doesn't recognize any mistake at all. It immediately shows the message: "The spell check is complete".

Finally, I've selected WinterTree Spelling Checker. No error message appears and the spell checks runs alright, BUT it doesn't recognize a lot of words which exist in Italian (and MS Word would recognize) AND it doesn't correct syntactic or concordance mistakes (for example, a female article with a male noun).

Do you think there is a way to have the spell check working as it does in MS Word?

Thank you again!!

Hamid Aydin  Identity Verified
Turkey
Member (2008)
English to Turkish
+ ...
Open Word Document Jun 28, 2011

Hi Elisa;

Sometimes, TagEditor doesn't correctly make Spell Check while another MS Word Document is open.

Maybe this works.

[Edited at 2011-06-28 11:54 GMT]

Spain
Member (2009)
Spanish to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
It didn't work Jun 28, 2011

Hi Hamid,

thank you very much for your suggestion. Unfortunately, it didn't work.

Elisa

Russian Federation
Member (2008)
English to Russian
Winword.exe Jun 28, 2011

Hamid Aydin wrote:

Sometimes, TagEditor doesn't correctly make Spell Check while another MS Word Document is open.

Often it is not about an open Word document but about another instance of Word running in the background. You need to open Task Manager, switch to the Processes tab and check if Winword.exe is listed among the process. Kill the process if it is present in the list.

Or simply reboot the computer and try again.

Elisa Farina wrote:
Impossible to find the correction tools for (and a strange symbol which, I guess, should represent the word in question).

I guess the strange symbol stands for Italian.

Does spell checking work in other programs that use MS Word CSAPI (Trados Studio, Wordfast Pro, Alchemy Catalyst etc)?

Spain
Member (2009)
Spanish to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Spell Check doesn't work in Studio either! Jun 28, 2011

Dear Maxim,

I just found out that the Spell Check function doesn't work in SDL Trados Studio 2009 either. It immediatley says "Spell check is complete", but it isn't!
It's the only other CAT tool I use. As you'll have probably understood I don't use it much, but what if a customer writes tomorrow asking to use it and I cannot run the spell check? Help!!

Do you have any idea of something I could try?

As regards what you wrote about killing the Winword.exe process, a box appears strongly advising me against deleting it, because it could make the system unstable. Is it really the only thing I could do? I'd rather not. It's the only computer I have...

Thank you once more,
Elisa

Russian Federation
Member (2008)
English to Russian
Something is wrong with the spelling engine Jun 28, 2011

Elisa Farina wrote:

Is it really the only thing I could do? I'd rather not.

You can simply reboot your computer and try to check spelling before opening Word or any other program.

At least you now know that the problem is with Microsoft spellchecker engine and not with Trados. If rebooting doesn't help you may want to reinstall MS Word or reset its settings as described in this KB article.

Spain
Member (2009)
Spanish to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Jun 29, 2011

Dear Maxim,

I'll try what you suggest. Thank you very much for your precious help!

Elisa

Vadim Kadyrov  Identity Verified
Ukraine
Member (2011)
English to Russian
+ ...
Maxim, Dec 1, 2011

Thanks a lot! It helped!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Spell Check function is disactivated in SDL Trados TagEditor

Advanced search

WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »
PDF Translation - the Easy Way
TransPDF converts your PDFs to XLIFF ready for professional translation.

TransPDF converts your PDFs to XLIFF ready for professional translation. It also puts your translations back into the PDF to make new PDFs. Quicker and more accurate than hand-editing PDF. Includes free use of Infix PDF Editor with your translated PDFs.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search