Unable to clean 2007 Word documents in Trados 2009 - help needed
Thread poster: Lillian B Popmijatov

Lillian B Popmijatov
Local time: 09:10
Member (2005)
French to Serbian
+ ...
Jun 28, 2011

This has happened several times lately - when I try to clean up a document, first it doesn't show on the list that appears in the window that opens when you click on "Add", and then when I select it manually from the "File name" list, it looks like it's being cleaned up and then I get this error message:

(-2147467259): The target document cannot be created because the tag structure in the TagEditor document is invalid.
File skipped!

I don't know what this
... See more
This has happened several times lately - when I try to clean up a document, first it doesn't show on the list that appears in the window that opens when you click on "Add", and then when I select it manually from the "File name" list, it looks like it's being cleaned up and then I get this error message:

(-2147467259): The target document cannot be created because the tag structure in the TagEditor document is invalid.
File skipped!

I don't know what this means because I don't work in tag editor at all.

I use 2009 SDL Trados and have 2003 Word. I've noticed that some (or maybe all - I'm not sure) of the documents that didn't get cleaned up were 2007 Word documents - I don't know if that has anything to do with this.
Collapse

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Open the problematic documents in Word Jun 28, 2011

save as Word 2003 and retranslate.
This behavior occurs indeed quite often for Word 2007 documents and is caused by invalid document structure in the source.

Lillian B Popmijatov
Member (2005)
French to Serbian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
It worked! Jun 28, 2011

Great, thank you so much Jerzy!

William [Bill] Gray  Identity Verified
Norway
Member (2006)
English
+ ...
From Jerzy: "save as Word 2003 and retranslate." Jun 28, 2011

Just as a matter of interest here Jerzy: I have also experienced this phenomenon that Lillian mentions, and have simply recleaned the file, and it has appeared to work. But I can't be sure if they have been 2007 or 2003 files.

Does one actually have to RETRANSLATE, or is it enough to save the bilingual Trados document in 2003 format, and then reclean the file?

Thanks for your (as always) helpful input.
Bill

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
You cannot save any bilingual documents in other format Jun 28, 2011

unless they are in Word, but the error mentioned here clearly refers to TagEditor an TTX.
So in that very case you indeed need to save as Word 2003 and retranslate.

Would the document be a Word bilingual, there will never (nearly) be a problem with cleanup.
I would then always use the tw4winclean.main macro - this works always, or at least I have never seen it not working.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Unable to clean 2007 Word documents in Trados 2009 - help needed

Advanced search

WordFinder Unlimited
For clarity and excellence

WordFinder is the leading dictionary service that gives you the words you want anywhere, anytime. Access 260+ dictionaries from the world's leading dictionary publishers in virtually any device. Find the right word anywhere, anytime - online or offline.

More info »
BaccS – an SDL product
Modern translation business management for freelancers and agencies

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search