Talyb Samedov  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 04:54
Member (2004)
English to Russian
+ ...
Jun 29, 2011

Hello,
I started translating a large file and noticed that the source file had a lot of tags, most of which were unnecessary, i.e. the text between the tags was not bold, italics, superscript, etc. When I entered the translation, I noticed that the font bacame very small, so I used Control-Ins to copy the source text and then typed over it, ignoring the tags as the text appeared to be ok. I even tested saving the target text after a few pages and it worked fine. Now when I finished transla
... See more
Hello,
I started translating a large file and noticed that the source file had a lot of tags, most of which were unnecessary, i.e. the text between the tags was not bold, italics, superscript, etc. When I entered the translation, I noticed that the font bacame very small, so I used Control-Ins to copy the source text and then typed over it, ignoring the tags as the text appeared to be ok. I even tested saving the target text after a few pages and it worked fine. Now when I finished translation I cannot save the target as I get the message stating that an error occurred converting back to Microsoft Word. When I run the F8 - I get about 170 errors and 200 notes - all about missing or added tags, mostly missing. I can go into each segment and copy/paste the missing tags, but since they are absolutely unnecessary, is there any way to ignore the tags an save the target file somehow and fix the formatting in the target file, if necessary.
I tried choosing "ignore formatting tags" and "disabling tag verificaiton" in File Types, but I still get that error and can't save the file. Any suggestions, or should I go manually into all these 170 segments?
Thanks!
Talyb
Collapse

Nicolas Coyer (X)  Identity Verified
Colombia
Local time: 05:54
Spanish to French
+ ...
Have you tried and delete the error messages? Jun 29, 2011

I've just done that with a ttx file (only one tag error luckily enough) and I could save my file.
There should be a pane on top of the editor with all the error messages and an option to delete them.
Try that.

HTH
Nicolas

[Edited at 2011-06-29 04:35 GMT]

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 12:54
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
If the tags would have not been necessary... Jun 29, 2011

the file would save.
So while I agree that many tags may be unnecessary, I would delete them with system.
You may never delete just a starting or a closing tag of a tag pair. If you want to delete formatting tags, you must delete the pair together (ie starting and closing tag).
Please review the error messages about deleted tags and insert tag so, that all pairs are complete.
If missing bookmark or field tags are reported - these MUST be inserted, this means you may not r
... See more
the file would save.
So while I agree that many tags may be unnecessary, I would delete them with system.
You may never delete just a starting or a closing tag of a tag pair. If you want to delete formatting tags, you must delete the pair together (ie starting and closing tag).
Please review the error messages about deleted tags and insert tag so, that all pairs are complete.
If missing bookmark or field tags are reported - these MUST be inserted, this means you may not remove such.
Collapse

Canada
Member (2004)
English to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
no luck Jun 29, 2011

Nicolas,
Thank you, but unfortunately, this did not work. I guess I'll have to manually after all.
Jerzy,
So, the only solution would be do this manually? If so, then I believe that this is major flaw in the design - Why let me enter translation and confirm it, if I can't save the target file in the end? If tags are so important, then the moment I tried to confirm the segment I should have gotten the error saying that unless I get the tags right I won't be able to save the tar
... See more
Nicolas,
Thank you, but unfortunately, this did not work. I guess I'll have to manually after all.
Jerzy,
So, the only solution would be do this manually? If so, then I believe that this is major flaw in the design - Why let me enter translation and confirm it, if I can't save the target file in the end? If tags are so important, then the moment I tried to confirm the segment I should have gotten the error saying that unless I get the tags right I won't be able to save the target.
Collapse

Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
NOt any flaw to be seen here Jun 29, 2011

Why not let you confirm?
If you delete unnecessary tags, you will be able to save the target.
It is your task to delete only tags which are superfluous.
Check the file for missing tags, make sure all tag pairs are complete and all field/bookmark tags are present - the target should be produced with no problem.

Canada
Member (2004)
English to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Still a flaw, i think Jun 29, 2011

Jerzy,
I'm sorry, but you have not convinced me that it is not a flaw. Because of that I now have a 1000-segement file that I cannot save without manually fixing over 150 segments. If I got a warning after I entered the first sentence without the right tags I might have decided not to use Trados at all which would have saved me a lot of time on this particular project where doing it in Trados wasn't a requirement.

Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Show me a cat tool which will ignore tags... Jun 29, 2011

OK, please show me a CAT tool, where you would not have a problem after having removed tags by chance, without any system in doing so?
Sorry, you try to blame the system, which works correctly, for your own fault.
You have got a warning and decided to ignore it. Did the program ignore the warning or were you this?
You may remove tag pairs, but you MAY NOT remove field, bookmark tags and you may not remove tag pairs partially.

Canada
Member (2004)
English to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
no warning Jun 29, 2011

"You have got a warning and decided to ignore it." - THIS is exactly what I consider to be a flaw - I DID NOT recieve any warnings. I could visually see that there are tags in the original text and no tags or not all the tags in the target text, but the system DID NOT warn me that this could lead to such a big problem.

Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
You should receive a warning or a hint at least Jun 29, 2011

Otherwise your settings are not correct.
This also does mean, that the default settings are NOT always applicable.
But this is user responsibility to use correct settings. Either your PM does do that or you need to do that.

Canada
Member (2004)
English to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Problem Solved Jun 29, 2011

I've opened the original again an re-translated it using the same TM. For some reason, this time it saved the target without any problems, despite all the tag problems. Can anybody explain that?

"You should receive a warning or a hint at least" - So, we agree at last

"Otherwise your settings are not correct." - Please explain how to set the correct settings?

Thank you very much, Jerzy and Nic
... See more
I've opened the original again an re-translated it using the same TM. For some reason, this time it saved the target without any problems, despite all the tag problems. Can anybody explain that?

"You should receive a warning or a hint at least" - So, we agree at last

"Otherwise your settings are not correct." - Please explain how to set the correct settings?

Thank you very much, Jerzy and Nicolas for your prompt responses - I really appreciate it!

[Edited at 2011-06-29 07:05 GMT]
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Tag Problems Preventing Saving the Target File

Advanced search

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
SDL Trados Studio 2019 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2019 has evolved to bring translators a brand new experience. Designed with user experience at its core, Studio 2019 transforms how new users get up and running, helps experienced users make the most of the powerful features.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search