Olaf Reibedanz  Identity Verified
Colombia
Local time: 16:42
Member (2003)
English to German
+ ...
Apr 9, 2004

Hello everybody,

I am having a little problem with Trados: while I was in the middle of a translation, I must have inadvertently clicked on some button, because suddenly there appeared lots of codes in the middle of the text; also, all the source segments and all the target segments were visible (whereas before only the translated target segments and the not yet translated source segments were displayed).

However, I very much prefer the other mode, where I only see the target segments and where there are no codes. Can anybody tell me how to switch back to that mode?

As far as I know, I have to go to the Tools/Options menu, deactivate the field “hidden text” (and all the other 5 fields that are next to it), and press “accept”. This is what I did and at first it seemed to work, because all the codes were gone.

However, the problem started again when I opened a segment with “Open/Get”: instead of keeping the changes I made in the Tools/Options menu, Trados automatically switched back to the mode with the codes.

Can anybody tell me what is happening here and how I can solve the problem?

Many thanks in advance!

Kind regards,

Olaf

Direct link Reply with quote

Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 23:42
English to German
+ ...
Hiding not recommended... Apr 9, 2004

Hi Olaf,
Working with all non-printable characters displayed is recommended because you run a risk of inadvertently damaging tags if they're not visible.

You probably hit the button on the Word toolbar that looks like an inverted P (it's a paragraph mark, actually).

I can't search for the relevant Trados KB article right now because their site appears to be down for maintenance, but if you definitely want to work without tags etc. displayed, open Word, set your required settings and close Word. This should store these settings in the Word registry. (As I said, this is from memory, so no guarantees...)

HTH, Ralf

Olaf Reibedanz  Identity Verified
Colombia
Local time: 16:42
Member (2003)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you! Apr 9, 2004

Many thanks Ralf - it worked!
Happy Easter

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Hiding segments and codes

Advanced search

SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search