MikeTrans
Germany
Local time: 17:56
Italian to German
+ ...
Jul 1, 2011

[SOLVED]
Hi,
I've already tryed in another post, but my description was too complex, so I will come here with a practical example.

I'm working on a word document in Studio where sometimes the source segments show like here below, over-filled with tags for the fonts.
When I then just start typing in the target segment the font will also be another one. I find it tedious to adapt everything with the Quickplace and I wonder if this is not due to an import problem of my Word file. I tryed it out with a *guaranteed not PDF converted* file, but the problem is the same.
To illustrate my problem better, here is the typical source sentence over-filled with tags:

(sorry for the lenght, but I cannot use any HTML sign, otherwise the post will not show up)

[TagOpen] A computer with an Intel [TagClose] [TagOpen]®[TagClose] [TagOpen] Pentium [TagClose] [TagOpen]®[TagClose] [TagOpen] or higher processor [TagClose]

I mean, I can understand why there is the tag for [TagOpen]®[TagClose] because it tells Studio about the character being in Superscript; but there is no (for me understandable) reason why all other non-special characters must be mapped with a tag at all. Also because in sentences whith no Bolt or special characters, Studio "knows" the font type and doesn't put the sentence into tags.

So, is this normal? Why does the typing in the source segment shows ANOTHER font that I must tediously change afterwards?

Most importantly for me: If all this is normal, how do you handle the translation (regarding the tags)?

Thanks you very much for a feedback!
Greets,
Mike

[Edited at 2011-07-01 23:05 GMT]

[Edited at 2011-07-01 23:06 GMT]

[Edited at 2011-07-02 01:11 GMT]

Direct link Reply with quote

MikeTrans
Germany
Italian to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Solved... Jul 2, 2011

My problem is related to my specific document, not the way Trados works. I've imported it in various CAT-tools and the example sentence above will also show up with those tags.

Regarding Trados Studio, I like the way it shows information on the tags and the Online Help has pointed me to the way of using Quickplace correctly.
In such extreme cases, it's better however to just copy source to target and write "arround" the tags.

[Edited at 2011-07-02 01:19 GMT]

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Tell me the tags... Jul 2, 2011

and I tell you the formatting.
Tell me how styles are defined and I tell you what to do to avoid those tags.
In most cases after some slight adaptation of source formatting the document would appear WITHOUT any tags in any CAT tool.

MikeTrans
Germany
Italian to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
@Jerzy Jul 2, 2011

Hi Jerzy,
thanks again for your indepth comments about tags in the other post. I'm now able to deal with my specific document also taking into account the following steps in the future.

In order to help post searchers, here my final conclusions:

1)
In Trados Studio 2009 there is a fundamental difference in these 2 Options:

Tools > Options > Editor > Formatting display style , which show tags relevant for the export.

Tools > Options > Editor > Font Adaptation , only changes onscreen presentation, but NOT relevant for export

2)
As for importing in a CAT tool in general, Word documents come in 2 categories:
- Documents with erroneous formatting (here is an exam{4}ple; PDF-conversions)
- Documents with *valid* formatting, but mostly disturbing after import.

To deal with the 1st category, use CodeZapper
http://asap-traduction.com/CodeZapper

You cannot change the 2nd category, as this must be returned as is to your client.
But you can do subtle Find/Replace operations prior of importing and changing it back after your translation.

Mike

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

[SOLVED] Too many tags for fonts after importing in Studio 2009

Advanced search

WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »
memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search