How do I convert a multiterm 2009 database to an SDLX termbase?
Thread poster: Luca Ruella

Luca Ruella  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2005)
English to Italian
+ ...
Jul 3, 2011

Thanks in advance

Direct link Reply with quote

MikeTrans
Germany
Local time: 19:04
Member (2005)
Italian to German
+ ...
Export MT to a tab-delimited text Jul 3, 2011

Luca,
you can use SDLX together with Muliterm (the latest build will also work with Multiterm 2009), but if you prefer to import to its own termbase, I think you must export it in a tab-delimited file. Also be sure to have the language codes in the first line.

Mike

FarkasAndras
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Tab delimited export broken Jul 3, 2011

MikeTrans wrote:

Luca,
you can use SDLX together with Muliterm (the latest build will also work with Multiterm 2009), but if you prefer to import to its own termbase, I think you must export it in a tab-delimited file. Also be sure to have the language codes in the first line.

Mike

Tab delimited export has been broken in MT for years. Avoid it unless SDL fixed it, which I haven't heard about.
If there is no "natively" compatible export format between MT and SDLX, you could try the workaround described in the linked thread, or, perhaps better, give HTML export a shot. If the termbase is not very large, you can probably copy-paste from the HTML table to Excel and then from there go to some format SDLX can handle.

MikeTrans
Germany
Member (2005)
Italian to German
+ ...
I have no problem exporting from MT 2009... Jul 3, 2011

Farkas,
you mean the MT 2007? I use the MT 2009 and have no problems whatsoever exporting in tab-delimited format. I change the txt in tsv, open with EXCEL and get rid of all colums I don't need or add new column entries in some cases (topic, client etc...). Works all like a charm.

Mike

Selcuk Akyuz  Identity Verified
Turkey
Local time: 20:04
Member (2006)
English to Turkish
+ ...
not possible with complex termbases Jul 3, 2011

MikeTrans wrote:

Farkas,
you mean the MT 2007? I use the MT 2009 and have no problems whatsoever exporting in tab-delimited format. I change the txt in tsv, open with EXCEL and get rid of all colums I don't need or add new column entries in some cases (topic, client etc...). Works all like a charm.

Mike

If you have a bilingual termbase without synonyms and other fields (but why should one use Multiterm for such a simple termbase structure!), it is easy to export terms and convert it for other CAT tools. But if the Multiterm TB is multilingual with several fields (client, date, project, context, synonyms) then it is impossible to get a useful tab-delimited file.

MikeTrans
Germany
Member (2005)
Italian to German
+ ...
I'm sorry to hear that... Jul 3, 2011

Hi Selcuk,

thanks for these precisions.
In fact, I organize all my terminology by specific topics only, also 1 database for every topic and language pair, so I can easily load them in Studio and get rid of useless noise.
I always found this method useful in any CAT tools I use.
This also explains why I'm unaware of such trouble.

@Luca,

BTW: The in-build termbase in SDLX doesn't support Stemming : only 100% matches are shown.

Mike

[Edited at 2011-07-03 20:50 GMT]

FarkasAndras
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Unaware of trouble Jul 4, 2011

MikeTrans wrote:

1 database for every topic and language pair, so I can easily load them in Studio and get rid of useless noise.
I always found this method useful in any CAT tools I use.
This also explains why I'm unaware of such trouble.

2 languages per termbase, although it's not a solution I would ever use or recommend, should help limit the damage in this case.
It doesn't mean you're totally immune to the MT export problem, though.
MT essentially leaves out empty fields from the export. So if your termbase structure and one of the entries is this:

English - Swahili - Source
- term - found online

... with the field of the English term left blank for whatever reason, then you'll end up with this after exporting:

English - Swahili - Source
term - found online -

If you enter terms into the TB in one language without adding their translation in the other language (to record acronyms, synonyms, to add notes, definitions etc.) then the txt export will be messed up.

Again, this is based on old information on the MT export feature, but it still hasn't been fixed to my knowledge.

MikeTrans
Germany
Member (2005)
Italian to German
+ ...
Mutliterm is wide-oriented Jul 4, 2011

Hi Farkas,

yes, I also must take care not merging terms with my system, there are obviously some drawbacks, but for me this does the job.

Multiterm is a very wide-oriented tool, very well fitted to host big dictionaries with complex entry structures, but then I think it's better not trying to migrate them I've followed up your link and I appreciate the big help you provide in writing a script for community.
One day I will decide trying to import my Langenscheid-Series into MT if this is possible, although these are always within my reach with a keyboard combination in their native interface. I vaguely remember this import was possible with MT 2007.
But then, I would just realize what I want to avoid: mixing up termbases with dictionaries which is a major flaw for a translator and also explains my simplistic system with termbases: they only have the purpose to refresh your memory or quickly insert into the text. Period. Dictionaries instead are the starting points for your research. In the Studio interface, you can only hardly distinguish these 2 categories if you mix them, especially when the window is crowded. So, I want to be able to load them as "modules" and only as simple termbases.

Greets,
Mike

[Edited at 2011-07-04 23:16 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Advanced search

BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search