Possible to use Google Translate only for single segments?
Thread poster: MikeTrans

MikeTrans
Germany
Local time: 19:59
Italian to German
+ ...
Jul 3, 2011

Hi,
I know I can add MT when chosing a Translation Memory, which can be set to be "Enabled" or "Lookup", but then it will translate *all* segments with it unless I switch it off (Hey Data, Data, stop it!...), also my 100% matches from my main TM would be ignored (possibly, I'm not quite sure).

It would be fine to activate GT (or Bing etc...) only for translating single segments with a keyboard command.
I'm not a fan of MT, but it has come to my attention that GT handles the translation of small and simple sentences in German very well, reducing substantially post-editing.

Alas, Google will pull the plug for GT at the end of december, but I hope Studio will implement another MT, but I doubt it will be as efficient as GT.

Greets,
Mike

[Edited at 2011-07-03 14:47 GMT]

Jorge Payan  Identity Verified
Colombia
Local time: 12:59
Member (2002)
German to Spanish
+ ...
Try this nice (and free) tool Jul 3, 2011

www.translateclient.com

Saludos

MikeTrans
Germany
Italian to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks, Jorge... Jul 3, 2011

I'll try this one for sure.

Greets,
Mike

Emma Goldsmith  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2010)
Spanish to English
google in TR window Jul 3, 2011

MikeTrans wrote:
it will translate *all* segments with it unless I switch it off (Hey Data, Data, stop it!...), also my 100% matches from my main TM would be ignored (possibly, I'm not quite sure).

For a start, your 100% matches are not ignored, don't worry.
Second, why not set Google Translate to be shown in the Translation Results window and apply it to your target segment only if you think it's useful? (Tools>options>Editor>automation> uncheck "apply best match after successful look-up")
Then use Alt+1, Alt+2 to apply the best option from the Translation Results window.

HTH

[Edited at 2011-07-03 19:08 GMT]

MikeTrans
Germany
Italian to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Oh, I like it! Jul 3, 2011

Thank you very much, Emma, this works very fine! All these Options in Studio can really mean a Power-up, at least sometimes...

Thanks!
Mike

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English
Alternatives to Google Jul 4, 2011

MikeTrans wrote:
Alas, Google will pull the plug for GT at the end of december, but I hope Studio will implement another MT, but I doubt it will be as efficient as GT.

Hi Mike,

Just wanted to touch on this point. We already have, in addition to Google, available connections for the following:

- SDL Automated Translation
- SDL Language Weaver
- Systran
- Sundra

There are also paid for versions of these that many Enterprises use and they can make these available to their Translators for use with Studio. In addition I am aware of several other providers who are creating connections for Translators working with Studio. The OpenExchange program for Studio is the place to watch for alternatives as they are developed.

http://www.sdl.com/en/language-technology/sdl-openexchange/

I think your comment on them not being as efficient as Google may have some truth at the "free of charge" level, but not when you start to get into the realms of trained engines that are not "free of charge". Perhaps Google will bring it back but at a cost?

I wonder if you, as a Translator, would pay for it if they do?

Regards

Paul

Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 18:59
Member (2004)
English to Italian
Read somewhere on tinternet... Jul 4, 2011

that the Translation API might become a "paid" service after all... not 100% sure if it's true, though...

SDL Support wrote:

MikeTrans wrote:

Hi Mike,

Just wanted to touch on this point. We already have, in addition to Google, available connections for the following:

- SDL Automated Translation
- SDL Language Weaver
- Systran
- Sundra

There are also paid for versions of these that many Enterprises use and they can make these available to their Translators for use with Studio. In addition I am aware of several other providers who are creating connections for Translators working with Studio. The OpenExchange program for Studio is the place to watch for alternatives as they are developed.

http://www.sdl.com/en/language-technology/sdl-openexchange/

I think your comment on them not being as efficient as Google may have some truth at the "free of charge" level, but not when you start to get into the realms of trained engines that are not "free of charge". Perhaps Google will bring it back but at a cost?

I wonder if you, as a Translator, would pay for it if they do?

Regards

Paul

MikeTrans
Germany
Italian to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
MT should be taken more seriously than 1-2 years ago... Jul 4, 2011

Paul, thank you for your feedback.

I'd like to get the perspective right while saying "GT would be more efficient..."). This reflects only my personal experience with MT in the past 2 years. Also my little inserted joke in my beginning post is somewhat inapropriate, I must admit.
Revising the history of my posts, I realized that indeed I was rather laughing at MT, but these times are going to be over, slowly but for sure.

The reason is that services like GT and others as well (which I cannot judge because I simply don't know) have increased in quality as a result of the large redundance of user's input. Time going on, these inputs have considerably increased, both in quantity (making it probably financially delicate for Google), as well as in quality for small, very context-based phrases or technical sentences.
The advantages of MT must however be used very selectively, and I think being able to just use them "at the right moment" with a segment in a CAT tool can bring the most benefits as for making the translator's work easier, and this is surely not cheating his thinking process and decision-making. Translation and Communication is always based on a *life* environement, and for now, we don't see an Asimov scenario where robots are walking on the streets to emphasize their own point of view, that is: Chosing the right words for a given situation.
I want to break this little dissertation about MT saying that when it comes to help the translator, the help itself can hardly be ignored. And this is also true for MT.

Now for the practical matters: Would I pay for it? That's a difficult question to answer at the time beeing, also because there still are some *legal* matters to be considered with MT, e.g. is the simple writing of brandmarks and company names in interfaces like GT legal or not? Difficult. Is it a breach of contract towards my clients? Very delicate to answer such questions.
And what about my data sent to GT (or other interfaces)? How is confidentiality really assured? Can these sentences be put together to re-construct the whole story, the whole translated document? If yes, then I would abandon it immediately, the whole concept not beeing trustworthy. I would also work for free in this case.

But just considering the pure practical side: If you look for an online translation, you'll be returned with garbage most of the time. This is because only language experts know the right questions to ask, the right terms to enter to receive an useful feedback, and this will not change for the years to come. I would however pay for such a service if I can access special dictionaries at the same time, and with "special", I *really* mean specially designed for a translator. While these databases exist for many years, their usage is still very over-prized in my opinion as for the benefits they provide. Just look in GT first...

Greets,
Mike

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English
Interesting... Jul 4, 2011

... but you are really talking about untrained MT engines when you refer to them as over-prized and insecure and there is a world of difference.

There is an interesting paper here that is worth a read if you have the time:

http://tinyurl.com/692gtqp

The confidentiality aspect is handled well because with these types of solutions the trained engine is provided by the Client in the first place. It's an interesting subject.

Regards

Paul

Richard Hill  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 12:59
Member (2011)
Spanish to English
applying best option Sep 1, 2011

Emma Goldsmith wrote:
...why not set Google Translate to be shown in the Translation Results window and apply it to your target segment only if you think it's useful? (Tools>options>Editor>automation> uncheck "apply best match after successful look-up")
Then use Alt+1, Alt+2 to apply the best option from the Translation Results window.

HTH

[Edited at 2011-07-03 19:08 GMT]

Hi Emma
I posted a question about this a couple of weeks ago http://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/205829-automated_translation_in_studio_2009.html, and having received no replies I came across your suggestion today which about half covers what I was hoping could be achieved. So I was wondering if you could tell me if it's possible to "apply best match after successful look-up" from my personal TMs but NOT apply it in the case of automated translation? Or maybe I'm hoping for too much. It's just that I think it would be really handy to have the AT showing up in the Translation Results window and have my (more trusted) results automatically applied after successful lookup. If not then at least your suggestion of using Alt+1 and Alt+2 gets me half of what I'm after.
Rich

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Possible to use Google Translate only for single segments?

Advanced search

BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »
PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search