Some pointers for a beginner?
Thread poster: pk75
pk75
Local time: 20:53
English to German
Jul 3, 2011

Hi,

I've decided to give Trados a try but run aground and would be grateful for some pointers for some basic processes I thought were pretty much straightforward.

I have been working with it on one job, where I got a package from the outsourcer along with a translation memory. I had managed to muddle through pretty much intuitively. So far so good.

Now for the next job, I got the previous, 2009 version of the text that needs to be translated, as well as its 2009 translation, and it was obvious that plenty of passages were identical or nearly identical. It tunred out to be more complicated than expected to build a translation memory from the previous version, but in the end I managed. However, Trados hardly recognized any segments, although there were many more in there which were nearly or even exactly identical.

With that previous job, Trados had suggested segments even when they weren't 100% accurate, but this time it didn't. Now the previous job had been based on an excel file and the segments had mostly been very short phrases, whereas this time, most are full sentences ans some are even two or three sentences long. But it didn't even get all the short phrases. Where did I go wrong?

[Bearbeitet am 2011-07-03 19:27 GMT]

Direct link Reply with quote

Jenny Scott  Identity Verified
Local time: 21:53
Member (2011)
Norwegian to English
Merge / split your segments? Jul 4, 2011

If your new segments include extra sentences, then you could try splitting the segments so that they match the old segments in length (or merging them if the problem were that the newer segments are shorter than the old ones).

This probably doesn't help you much in this case if all the segments in your document are different in length to the old segments; depending on the length of document, it would be extremely time-consuming, but at least it might explain how you can get Trados to recognise them.

The procedures for merging/splitting are different for Trados 2007 and 2009, but the Help features explain how to do it.

Direct link Reply with quote

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Some pointers for a beginner?

Advanced search

BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search