Thread poster: Marina Steinbach

Marina Steinbach  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 08:08
English to German
+ ...
Jul 3, 2011

Hello,

I was wondering, if someone could give me advice on buying this translation tool.

At "Translationzone.com" they offer the SDL Trados Studio 2009 Starter Edition at a price of 99 € per year. Instead of paying yearly 99 € for a bare-bone version, I thought about purchasing either

- SDL Trados Studio 2009, SP3, Freelance at a price of 845 € or
- SDL Trados Studio 2009 Plus at a price of 875 €.

Are these prices also PER YEAR?

Well, then I have seen the great TGB offer on the ProZ site. I could get the same software for only 495 US $. However, there is a waiting list. How long would I have to wait till I have my SDL Trados in hand?

I hope to hear from you soon, as I am very eager to have this translation tool.

Greetings from Florida!

Marina

Direct link Reply with quote

Marinus Vesseur  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 05:08
English to Dutch
+ ...
Try it, before you buy it.. Jul 4, 2011

..is my advice. It's a good deal, but even 500 dollars is lot of money, seeing as the next version is just around the corner.

First of all Studio isn't as well established as Trados 2007 is/was. Also, there are other CAT tools on the market, some of which are cheaper and/or might suit you better (if you happen to have a lot of Excel files to translate, for example). All that glitters ain't gold in connection with SDL Studio - a quick glance through this forum suffices to show.

Look at DejaVu, Wordfast, MemoQ and their competitors as well. Even if you don't - try Studio before you buy it. The starter version might be a good way to do so. There also is a free trial version.

Good luck!

ghislandi  Identity Verified
Local time: 13:08
English to Italian
Info Jul 4, 2011

Hello
I am from SDL.

The prices from our website are for a pertpetual license - ie it is NOT a yearly subscription.
The only product on a subscription is the Starter edition.

In regards to Proz, I can not confirm right now when it will become available - it will be over the next 30 days.

However - every TGB is different and the price might vary.

Regards
Massimo

Marina Steinbach  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 08:08
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
SDL Trados Studio 2009 Jul 19, 2011

Marinus Vesseur wrote:

There also is a free trial version.

Good luck!

Hello Marinus,

After my SDL Trados Studio webinar for beginners, I have tried to get acquainted with the trial version. Unfortunately, there are some features not included, e.g. MultiTerm and AutoSuggest.

ProZ is now offering a full version of SDL Trados Studio at a 35 % discount (SDL Trados Studio 2011 will be free!) here:

http://www.proz.com/tgb/

I hope that the 50 people will soon sign up, so that I can go on studying this CAT tool.

Marina

P.S. As you can see below, I love editing my postings...

[Edited at 2011-07-19 01:07 GMT]

[Edited at 2011-07-19 01:07 GMT]

[Edited at 2011-07-19 01:21 GMT]

[Edited at 2011-07-19 01:22 GMT]

[Edited at 2011-07-19 01:31 GMT]

[Edited at 2011-07-19 22:18 GMT]

[Edited at 2011-07-20 00:56 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

SDL Trados Studio 2009 Starter Edition

Advanced search

PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search