Advice Using SDL TRADOS Studio 2009 on a Mac
Thread poster: JKopp
JKopp
JKopp
Local time: 01:38
Spanish to English
+ ...
Jul 5, 2011

Was wondering if anyone has experience running SDL TRADOS Studio 2009 Professional on a Mac using VMWare.

I'm considering purchasing a Mac, and I'm inclined to virtualize Windows 7 using Fusion. My other two options are Parallels and Boot Camp.

If any of you have experience running SDL TRADOS Studio 2009 on a Mac using any of the above virtualization schemes, I'd love to hear your feedback. Thanks!

Stefano Nicola D'Amato (X)
Stefano Nicola D'Amato (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 01:38
Spanish to English
+ ...
Tados Studio 2009 on a MAC Jul 5, 2011

Hello,

I just purchased Trados Studio 2009 with a one year membership to ProZ through the TGB program.

I was able to successfully install it on the virtual machine I run Windows 7 on via Parallels. It seems to work fine. Since Trados (and CAT tools in general) are new to me, I am going to do the Trados Certification courses online (also purchased through ProZ).

I did, however, receive an e-mail today from SDL offering sneak previews of Studio 2011. This is
... See more
Hello,

I just purchased Trados Studio 2009 with a one year membership to ProZ through the TGB program.

I was able to successfully install it on the virtual machine I run Windows 7 on via Parallels. It seems to work fine. Since Trados (and CAT tools in general) are new to me, I am going to do the Trados Certification courses online (also purchased through ProZ).

I did, however, receive an e-mail today from SDL offering sneak previews of Studio 2011. This is a bit frustrating because I just purchased Studio 2009 a week ago! This is off topic so I won't go into that.

To answer your question, with the limited knowledge I have of Trados, it seems to work great with Parallels.

Good luck with your Mac purchase. I switched from a PC to Mac in March 2010 and despite the extra work and expense (Parallels), I am very happy with my MAC.

Boot Camp is, of course, a free option but then you can not run MAC OS and Windows simultaneously.

Regards!

[Edited at 2011-07-05 21:01 GMT]
Collapse

Susanne Kress
Susanne Kress  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 07:38
Member (2010)
Spanish to German
+ ...
Mac + Parallels Jul 5, 2011

Hi,

I am working with Studio on a Mac with Parallels and it works perfectly. You should have enough RAM though. I have 8 GB, although I think with 4 it would work as well, and it seems to me that Windows applications work even better on this virtual Windows than on a normal PC.

There is only one disadvantage, and that is that you will have to choose the Windows version of Office if you want to use Studio's preview function. I bought the Mac version of Office and I am st
... See more
Hi,

I am working with Studio on a Mac with Parallels and it works perfectly. You should have enough RAM though. I have 8 GB, although I think with 4 it would work as well, and it seems to me that Windows applications work even better on this virtual Windows than on a normal PC.

There is only one disadvantage, and that is that you will have to choose the Windows version of Office if you want to use Studio's preview function. I bought the Mac version of Office and I am still looking for a workaround, but it seems that there is none. But it's only this function which is missing. No problem with anything else, you can, for example, access files stored on your Mac from Studio to add them to you project, etc.

Kind regards
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Advice Using SDL TRADOS Studio 2009 on a Mac

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »