Trados Studio 2009 SP3: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
Thread poster: Marcel Hlbočan

Marcel Hlbočan
Local time: 09:05
Slovak to English
+ ...
Jul 6, 2011

Hello everybody,

I am using SDL Trados Studio SP3 and translating a macro enabled Excel 2010 file (xlsm extension). Translation went smooth, however, when I tried to generate the target translation, I got the above error.
I went through all suggestions published in this forum but to no avail. This is what I tried so far:

0. Suggestion to upgrade to SP2/3 does not apply to me.

1. I checked the Worksheet names - they are all left unchanged.

2. I have deleted Trados configuration files as suggested by Trados support, or even renamed entire SDL folders to xxxx_old. Trados did generate new config folders/files, but the error remained the same.

3. I tried to save the file in xlxs format - without macros, translated this file, but when generating target translation, I had the same error again.

4. I tried to save the file in xls format - the same error again.

5. I switched off tag verification completely and used the "skip worksheet name" option - the same error again.

If anyone can think of anything else I could do, please help. Thank you in advance.

Marcel

Direct link Reply with quote

Marcel Hlbočan
Slovak to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Still no luck Jul 6, 2011

Tried a few more things, like dividing the Excel file into individual sheets (Trados did generate target files, but they were empty) and opening the Excel file with all optional content, however still no luck. It probably would have been easier for me to manually retype the whole thing in Excel.

Create a new project Jul 7, 2011

Hi Marcel,
I had this exact same problem and it took forever to solve it. I still don't know what causes the problem, but I was able to solve the problem by creating a new project and adding the Excel file in it. Then I just retranslated it with the help of the TM. After doing that everything worked out smoothly.

Hope it works out.

Marcel Hlbočan
Slovak to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Done with Trados on this project Jul 7, 2011

Been looking for a solution until 2 a.m.
First I tried the trick with Personal Data Protection suggested by MarkAlexander in one of the topics. Did not work.
Then I discovered a load of hidden data and even entire hidden worksheets in the file. Deleted them all.
To no avail. Still get errors when generating target, in some cases I end up with an empty Excel file - only the table structure is visible. After dividing the file in individual worksheets I get a load of other errors and I really do not have the time and energy to research them all. It seems someone really enjoyed packing this file with every feature Excel has to offer and Trados is absolutely incapable of working with this. I just wish it said so in the beginning. Please developers do something about it!!!
Nobody could give me an advice here either so I go now back to manually translating the file in Excel.
Trados really increased my productivity :/
Marcel

Marcel Hlbočan
Slovak to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Still no luck Jul 7, 2011

intocomm wrote:

I was able to solve the problem by creating a new project and adding the Excel file in it. Then I just retranslated it with the help of the TM. After doing that everything worked out smoothly.

Hope it works out.

Sorry to disappoint, but I also tried this - in many different versions - using the original file in another project, in a completely new project, using the Excel file saved in older Excel format, trying to delete all hidden worksheets, dividing the file into individual sheets - nothing helps.

Btw. I also tried to export the database to Trados 7 and attempted to translate in TagEditor, but the file is formatted so that segmentation is completely different in TagEditor to SDL Studio. (I could open the file in TagEditor only after saving it in xls format, which means I also lost some worksheet functionality.) Not being sure if I will be able to save the target from there and considering the different segmenting and loss of functionality, I decided to rewrite everything in Excel. I have used many many words since yesterday, that cannot be published.

I am about to complete the manual translation in Excel, but if someone still has ideas - especially someone from SDL !!! - feel free to send them.

Sami Khamou  Identity Verified
Local time: 03:05
Member (2002)
English to Arabic
+ ...
I faced the same problem. Jul 14, 2011

Hi Marcel,

I faced the same problem, when I came across the translation of a tagged segment.

I tried a number of tricks to solve the problem with no luck.

In frustration, I saved my job, quit the program, shut down my computer and took a short nap.

I restarted my computer, started Trados Studio 2009 SP3, opened the document and VOILA! the problem disappeared.

If you haven't tried this simple method, please do try it! It might work.

Wishing you good luck.

Sami

Witold Palka  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2005)
German to Polish
+ ...
I have the same problem Oct 11, 2011

Hi, does someone know the true fix for this error? The Google translate works for me on 2-3 segments and than quits with the same error "object reference not set....".
I have to restart studio, than it would work again for couple of hits...

Does anybody has a clue about how to fix it?

Regards

Witold

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English
Different problem I think Oct 11, 2011

Hi Witold,

I think your problem is more likely to be related to this thread:

http://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/209594-google_translator_not_working_in_studio.html

Google are discontinuing their free service altogether very soon (for 3rd party tool developers) and there has been a noticeable slow down on what is allowed. I also note that I get a couple of segments and then it kicks me out as discussed in the thread above.

The solution will be for us to implement the new Google plugin that allows you to enter details of your paid account with Google. This will be introduced to Studio soon.

Regards

Paul

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trados Studio 2009 SP3: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

Advanced search

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
LSP.expert
You’re a freelance translator? LSP.expert helps you manage your daily translation jobs. It’s easy, fast and secure.

How about you start tracking translation jobs and sending invoices in minutes? You can also manage your clients and generate reports about your business activities. So you always keep a clear view on your planning, AND you get a free 30 day trial period!

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search