Studio migration question (for multiple CAT users only)
Thread poster: MikeTrans
MikeTrans
Germany
Local time: 03:58
Italian to German
+ ...
Jul 7, 2011

Hello,

As I will use more CAT tools in the future as for clients requests which also includes Studio, I have the following important question to consider when importing TM into Studio or exporting it for migration.

When importing...
I've noticed that when I choose in an opened TM "Search in potential duplicates only" , Studio will show me what I call "false-duplicates", that is the same source, but different translations. I'm fine with that, as it facilitates my maintenance work.
But how does Studio handles "real duplicates", that is: same source - same translation, twice or more in the TM?

Will all sets of such duplicates (real duplicates!) be ignored automatically when importing?

When exporting and/or re-importing into Studio...
If I open a TMX file in a TMX manager, I notice that Studio will glue together all attributes of specific segments. This method has the effect of not having any duplicates in my TMX file, but messing up my attribute entries.
For example if I have the following attributes in my TM:
Domain = Software
Client = Mister Bean
on export it will glue together all attribute entries with "Sofware, Mister Bean" and on re-import also create these new - and disturbing - fields (or not import those entries if I chose not to add new fields on import).

Does any Studio user have any problems with Segments not being correctly re-imported in another CAT tool because of this?

Also, as for codes (tags) in the TM:
Will a Studio-TM with tags be a problem if imported into another CAT tool like DVX, MemoQ, etc.?

Thanks very much to give me a feedback!
Greets,
Mike

[Edited at 2011-07-07 21:31 GMT]

[Edited at 2011-07-07 21:35 GMT]

Direct link Reply with quote

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Studio migration question (for multiple CAT users only)

Advanced search

PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search