Error message:specified path, file name too long
Thread poster: Rosemary Vandertop

Rosemary Vandertop  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 22:49
Dutch to English
Jul 8, 2011

I am translating 3 files in SDL Studio 2009, 2 are fine and the 3rd file won't open. Error message: the specified path, file name or both are too long.... I have had this before, but the suggested solution (moving the file directly to the C drive so the path is not too long and shortening the name of the file) does not work (never did). I used to just translate the relevant file in Tag Editor, which had no problem opening, but I don't have that program on my computer anymore. Hs anyone found a solution yet?

Natalie  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 23:49
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
Hi Rosemary Aug 4, 2011

Check the filename for some letter/symbol that might be "unreadable" for your system (umlaut, Cyrillic letter - whatever). Try renaming the file in a way that there will be no such symbols for sure, for example, "1.doc".

Rosemary Vandertop  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 22:49
Dutch to English
TOPIC STARTER
File name too long Aug 5, 2011

Hi Natalie
Thank you for your reply, but the real problem is that I invested in Studio 2009 because I work mainly on projects, often with 500 + files. If just translating simple, single Office documents you would not need to upgrade from Trados 6, or you could even just use a free CAT tool.
I need a bit more from a program, and I am prepared to pay if it does the job. Your work-around would be brilliant for 2 files, but if I have to rename 49 files in a (complex) 500 file structure, it would just take too long and be too prone to errors.
Again, thank you for taking the trouble to reply.
Rosemary

Natalie  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 23:49
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
Hi Rosemary Aug 5, 2011

Probably you have missed my point...

I have never told that this is any kind of workaround; I just tried to make you aware that the problem may be NOT related with Studio at all.

Natalia

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Error message:specified path, file name too long

Advanced search

WordFinder Unlimited
For clarity and excellence

WordFinder is the leading dictionary service that gives you the words you want anywhere, anytime. Access 260+ dictionaries from the world's leading dictionary publishers in virtually any device. Find the right word anywhere, anytime - online or offline.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search