WinAlign: possible to also send the formatting to TM?
Thread poster: MikeTrans

MikeTrans
Germany
Local time: 13:08
Italian to German
+ ...
Jul 8, 2011

Hello,

I have 2 identical word documents, 1 source language and 1 target language containing exactly the same formatting (bold, underline, web page links, different fonts, paragraph bullets etc.).
I would like to align the documents using WinAlign.
Is it possible to set the program in a way that he will create a TM afterwards also containing all format tags?

Can the in-build Aligners of MemoQ, DVX also do the same for a TM used in that CAT tool?
... See more
Hello,

I have 2 identical word documents, 1 source language and 1 target language containing exactly the same formatting (bold, underline, web page links, different fonts, paragraph bullets etc.).
I would like to align the documents using WinAlign.
Is it possible to set the program in a way that he will create a TM afterwards also containing all format tags?

Can the in-build Aligners of MemoQ, DVX also do the same for a TM used in that CAT tool?

Note:
This would be wonderful, because those format tags in the TM could be inserted automatically and in the right way during translation if the source sentence is identical, and also identical in formatting with the 100% match of the TM.

Thanks,
Mike

[Edited at 2011-07-08 17:30 GMT]

[Edited at 2011-07-08 17:34 GMT]
Collapse

Nora Diaz  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 05:08
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
+ ...
This can be tricky with Word Jul 8, 2011

The WinAlign user guide explains how to handle various types of texts.

For Word files, it is suggested that you set formatting right in the files, for example, applying styles, before aligning.

But consider that a TM created from untagged documents will be untagged, so if you import the same TM in a tag-based environment, all the tags will be missing and chances are the program won't recognize what should be 100% matches due to different segmentation and tag rules.
... See more
The WinAlign user guide explains how to handle various types of texts.

For Word files, it is suggested that you set formatting right in the files, for example, applying styles, before aligning.

But consider that a TM created from untagged documents will be untagged, so if you import the same TM in a tag-based environment, all the tags will be missing and chances are the program won't recognize what should be 100% matches due to different segmentation and tag rules.

If you want to use the TM in a tagged environment like Studio or TE, I think you would be much better off aligning tagged documents.

To do this for Word files, the first step would be to open each of the files in TagEditor and save them as TTXs, then align the TTXs.
Collapse

MikeTrans
Germany
Italian to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks very much for your tips! Jul 8, 2011

Nora,
thanks for replying so promptly to my post: I have edited it to make it more simple to read. I'm sorry for my previous 'version' of it.
I asked this because I have sometimes to assure the compatibility of Studio (or Trados 2007) to my delivered work and I wonder if - in some cases - it would be faster to Align translations done and pre-translate them instead of making manual formatting in Studio (or TagEditor).

Probably, this is just a silly idea of mine, but who
... See more
Nora,
thanks for replying so promptly to my post: I have edited it to make it more simple to read. I'm sorry for my previous 'version' of it.
I asked this because I have sometimes to assure the compatibility of Studio (or Trados 2007) to my delivered work and I wonder if - in some cases - it would be faster to Align translations done and pre-translate them instead of making manual formatting in Studio (or TagEditor).

Probably, this is just a silly idea of mine, but who knows?!

Thanks,
Mike
Collapse

MikeTrans
Germany
Italian to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Worked very well!... Jul 8, 2011

Hi Nora,
thanks again for pointing me to TTX. It worked like a charm and I was able to align and send to a TM in about 20 minutes (4500+ words, 442 segments).
So, I can re-use this TM in Trados later, as the translation itself was done with DVX. Trados will even place me the tags correctly with less than 100% matches, facilitating my future work.

I also find WinAlign very intuitive to use, no problems whatsoever.

Thanks again!

Greets,
Mik
... See more
Hi Nora,
thanks again for pointing me to TTX. It worked like a charm and I was able to align and send to a TM in about 20 minutes (4500+ words, 442 segments).
So, I can re-use this TM in Trados later, as the translation itself was done with DVX. Trados will even place me the tags correctly with less than 100% matches, facilitating my future work.

I also find WinAlign very intuitive to use, no problems whatsoever.

Thanks again!

Greets,
Mike

[Edited at 2011-07-08 22:11 GMT]
Collapse

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (1970)
English
A nice tip... Jul 9, 2011

Nora Diaz wrote:
If you want to use the TM in a tagged environment like Studio or TE, I think you would be much better off aligning tagged documents.
To do this for Word files, the first step would be to open each of the files in TagEditor and save them as TTXs, then align the TTXs.

Hi Nora

Just to add to your tip, it may be worth using TTXit to create the TTX files if you have a Studio license as this will simplfy the TTX creation somewhat.

SDL TTX It : http://tinyurl.com/ttxit

Regards

Paul

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

WinAlign: possible to also send the formatting to TM?

Advanced search

BaccS – an SDL product
Modern translation business management for freelancers and agencies

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »
SDL Trados Studio 2019 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2019 has evolved to bring translators a brand new experience. Designed with user experience at its core, Studio 2019 transforms how new users get up and running, helps experienced users make the most of the powerful features.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search