Thread poster: Charles Stanford

Charles Stanford  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Local time: 03:30
Member (2008)
Czech to English
+ ...
Jul 11, 2011

I am sorry if this question has been asked before. An agency asked me to send them an export of my TM in Trados 2009. I did the translation using my own TM and thought that it would be stupid to send them an export of my entire TM (17 MB) and so ran the file through Studio again creating a new TM specifically for the customer (with all 4 boxes ticked for that new TM - concordance - look up - update or whatever they are. Once I have been through updating my new TM for the customer, I click on Translation Memories and right click on the new TM to try to export it to a tmx file. I have the filter settings set to "none". When I export the file though I always get just 23 translation units exported - even though the file numbers a couple of hundred units. I obviously don't want to send my entire TM for this field because it is massive but can anyone tell me why I cannot export all the translated units to this new TM? I am pulling my hair out.
Thank you

Direct link Reply with quote

Emma Goldsmith  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2010)
Spanish to English
import sdlxliff into new TM Jul 11, 2011

I suggest you create a new (empty) TM. Open it in the Translation Memories window. Click on Import>add files. Add your translated sdlxliff file.
After that, if your client hasn't got Studio, then export the TM in .tmx format.
HTH

Anthony Green  Identity Verified
Italy
Italian to English
filter by date? Jul 11, 2011

If this is the only job you have been working on recently, you could export all TU's since last Thursday, for example.
There are also legal implications which for me would make it unlikely that I would give anyone my whole TM, as I could of course be charged with breaking confidentiality agreements.

Anthony

Charles Stanford  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Member (2008)
Czech to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Jul 11, 2011

Thank you to you both - I think I am getting there but will have to wait until I hear from the customer as to whether I have actually sent them what they are after. Great to spend 3 hours mucking about with the TM when the translation took 1 hour.....

Sergei Tumanov  Identity Verified
Local time: 04:30
English to Russian
+ ...
project specific memory Jul 11, 2011

As far as I know when a Studio 2009 project is created the software creates a separate TM for this very project in a separate folder in addition to the main TM used for the project.

Why don't you send to your client this project-specific TM only? It will contain only segments translated for this very client.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Exported TM problem

Advanced search

PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »
BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search