glitch when saving target file in Trados 2009
Thread poster: Ian Margo
Ian Margo
Local time: 07:26
English to French
Jul 11, 2011

Help! On Friday night I lost an hour's work after painstakingly completing a translation of a file for which I'd managed to retrieve 40% from the customer's TM.

Here's what I did:

did the pre-translation and retrieved appox. 40% which was great,
then completed the translation and clicked on two commands successively.

SAVE (in French this was ENREGISTRER)
SAVE TARGET FILE (in French this was ENREGISTRER FICHIER CIBLE)

To my surprise when I opened the target file, which was supposed to be entirely in English, it was unfortunately, entirely in French.

Can anybody tell me what I did wrong or what I omitted to do?

Ian Margo
ijmargo@gmail.com


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Emma Goldsmith  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 07:26
Member (2010)
Spanish to English
a few guesses Jul 11, 2011

It sounds very peculiar, and it's certainly never happened to me, but I could try a couple of stabs in the dark in case they work...

1. Are you looking in the right place for your target translation? In other words, are you going to the project folder and sub-folder that has the target file?
2. Is this the first time this has happened? (Or is it the first file you've ever translated with Studio?) If this is a one-off problem, then the file in question must be at fault. Try opening the source file again with an empty TM, translate the first segment, save, and see if that produces a target file with one translated sentence.

Not sure if any of this will help, but at least it's something you can try...


Direct link Reply with quote
 
Ian Margo
Local time: 07:26
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
problem solved Jul 12, 2011

thanks Emma, for your suggestions. I had tried all those, and even another possibility which is that I might have configured the project back to front, making English the source and French the target, but then I wouldn't have had the French display on the left hand side as it did.
Last night I succeeded in saving my target file (several times) and everything worked perfectly. I can only conclude thus that I must have clicked on 'save the source file', which is just above the 'save the target file' command by mistake. As I then renamed the source file as the target file, I had both the source and target files in French.

Basically I need more training in Trados 2009, having only done the beginner's course for the moment. Anyway thanks for your friendly help. xx Ian

[Edited at 2011-07-12 07:51 GMT]


Direct link Reply with quote
 


To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:


You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

glitch when saving target file in Trados 2009

Advanced search







memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »
PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »



Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search