Thread poster: Anna Sarah Krämer Fazendeiro

Anna Sarah Krämer Fazendeiro
Germany
Local time: 06:18
Member (2011)
English to German
+ ...
Jul 11, 2011

I received a file in PT-pt to translate into DE-de. Together with it arrived a TM that I am supposed to use together, but it is with the source and target changed, means DE-de - PT-pt

I can´t add this TM to the project I am trying to create with SDL Trados 2007. I get an error message, that the Source language of the TM does not correspond with that of the project.

Is there any way around this problem? I tried to export the TM (not possible, don´t know why), tried to create a new TM with the source and target according to the project and to import the data (no success) and now I am stuck.

I hope anyone can help. Thank you for your time.

Anna

Direct link Reply with quote

Hazel Underwood  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 05:18
Member (2005)
German to English
+ ...
Don't create a project Jul 11, 2011

just open the TM from within workbench. You should then be able to export the TM.

Michael Grant
Japan
Local time: 13:18
Japanese to English
We need more information, please Jul 13, 2011

Hi Anna,

You tried all the correct procedures, but they failed.

You said, "I tried to export the TM (not possible, don´t know why)", but we need a little more info than that what exactly happens when you try to export the memory?

You also said you, "tried to create a new TM with the source and target according to the project and to import the data (no success)", again...what EXACTLY happens?

In order to help you, I think we need to know the actual error messages/erroneous behavior you are getting (because it should work!). Can you give us any more information?

The process should be:

1. Export your DE-PT to a TXT file('Translator's Workbench 7.x/8.x (*.txt)') in Workbench
2. Create a new TM in Workbench with PT as the source and DE as the target
3. Import the DE-PT into this new TM
4. The source and target SHOULD be imported correctly (i.e. PT(source)-DE(target))

Let us know what error messages/symptoms you are getting, please.

NOTE: I found a slideshow with screen shots of this process on the Internet.
Just FYI: http://www.slideshare.net/valtom/sdl-trados-two-tms-for-the-price-of-one

MGrant

[Edited at 2011-07-13 08:22 GMT]

Anna Sarah Krämer Fazendeiro
Germany
Local time: 06:18
Member (2011)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Export option blanked out Jul 13, 2011

Well, actually the problem was solved in the easiest possible way - I just asked the agency, and they sent me the proper TM.

Anyway - because this might be a common problem, and will help me and others later, for sure:

The problem with exporting the TM was simply that the "Export"-option was not even clickable when having the TM opened in Workbench.

And to create a new one did not work because I could not export the data in the first place.

If you have any idea what could cause this, I still would be very interested in the answer.

Thank you for your help

Anna

Michael Grant
Japan
Local time: 13:18
Japanese to English
You have to open the TM in "Exclusive" mode in order to export... Jul 14, 2011

"Export"-option was not even clickable...

Oh! In that case, it's because you didn't open the TM in "Exclusive" mode!
File > Open...then check the "Exclusive" check box...(just FYI)

But you're right, the easiest solution is to get the proper TM from the client!
I'm glad you're on your way!!

MGrant

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Swap TM´s source and target

Advanced search

SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »
LSP.expert
You’re a freelance translator? LSP.expert helps you manage your daily translation jobs. It’s easy, fast and secure.

How about you start tracking translation jobs and sending invoices in minutes? You can also manage your clients and generate reports about your business activities. So you always keep a clear view on your planning, AND you get a free 30 day trial period!

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search